Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax to Email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pea123

Technical User
Aug 26, 2009
Hie to you all.
I need to achieve a set up were a 3300 will receive Faxes from outside via a PRI DDI trunk, the 3300 will then pass on these Faxes to a an Email server. I have no idea of how to go about it. If someone has done this before please advise me on how to do it.
Thank you.

Thanks for the reply.First time I hear of NuPoint (External Application). Please give me more info.

Are you saying that you need to integrate to a fax server or send them as SMTP.

Im still at the planning stage. Will go along with your suggestion.Assume intergratinG to a fax server and also sending to SMTP.
eXPLAIN BOTH SCENARIOS PLEASE.

Think the embedded voicemail can detect fax and forward it to an extension. The Nupoint voicemail can act as a fax server and collect the faxes in mailboxes which can be forwarded to an email address in your email server.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

The 3300 embedded VM does not do FAX messaging, at least up to MCD 5.0. You'd need either NuPoint UM or another external application connected to the 3300ICP to do it.

With the minimal detail of your initial post, there are a couple of options. Nupoint VM has the capability to be up to a 6-port fax server. Using the Unified Messaging capabilities, you can get faxes into mailboxes, then the UM can send them out to users. Information on Nupoint is available on edocs.mitel.com. If you have just a few users, you can do that or even look at online options, like Efax or GFI Online. If you have a LOT of users and/or faxes, you'll need to go to a third-party solution.

I've used GFI fax-server successfully before, but let's not turn this into a fax forum debating GFI, Rightfax, etc. You can do your own research on those, and what matches your company's needs.

It may be a cost issue, but consider running the PRI directly into a fax-board on the fax-server hardware itself. Eliminating any transition through the 3300 may reduce fax errors, as I've experienced before. Also, you're not paying for a Digital Link license on the 3300, but you are paying for a fax-board (e.g., Dialogic-Brooktrout).

Lots of options, but it all starts with how many users you'll have using how many fax numbers with how many incoming/outgoing faxes, particularly simultaneously filling up ports and trunks. Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back