Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax Servers that support PRI's (T1 not E1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhphoneguy

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
We currently have a fax server behind our pbx, configured as tie lines with a and b bit E&M signalling. I would prefer this to be a PRI, however, the Brooktrout card in it only supports PRI's on E1's, or QSIG. Is anyone aware of a fax server that will intergrate nicely with an M1 over PRI / T1's? and will emulate a DMS?

What feature are you looking for that the PRI supports and the ISDN type service doesn't support?

I have a fax server with a Brooktrout card, and we have E&M also, and I see no need for CLID. (The only feature I can think of you would get with a PRI)

We need CLID, and positive disconnect supervision. We also have issues with calls originated at other PRI sites (customers) that won't terminate on the fax t1 because the originating ISDN bearer capicity IE is not 3.1khz voice.
(we overflow these to an analog fax machine as a work around)

nhphoneguy,

What card did you finally end up going with? I am currently setting up a PRI from an M1 to a FacSys Fax Server. I need to use a Brooktrout card. If you could let me know what card you used and if there were any pitfalls, that would be great. Thanks.

Bunkman -Bunkman

We currently have a Quadrant Fast Fax with a Brooktrout card that I believe is a TR-114. It's running as a plain t1 behind the switch. Never could get it to work as a PRI behind the pbx. The vendor was only aware of it working with QSIG on an E1 (we don't have QSIG support) Good Luck!

Hello nhphoneguy,

Brooktrout makes T-1 cards that will be compatible with your software. You have to have a LINESIDE T-1 card in your PBX though for it to work. there are two, I have experience with the first one. Also your software has to be T-1 capable. One of our fax servers does not have T-1 licensing so all we can use on that one is E&M.

hope this helps.

NT5D11 Line-side T1 Interface Card

Framing........... ESF or D4
Coding............ AMI or B8ZS
Signaling......... Loop or ground start
A/B robbed-bit
Distance to Customer Premise
Equipment (CPE) or Channel
Service Unit
0-199.6 meters (0–655 feet)

NT5D33 and NTRB34 Line-side E1 Interface Cards

Framing........ CRC-4 or FAS, only
Coding......... AMI or HDB3
Signaling...... Loop or ground start
A/B robbed-bit
Distance to LTU 0-199.6 meters (0-655 feet)

krigor,
thanks for the response but I'm looking for a PRI (with a d-channel for siganlling) not a t1. We already have it working as a t1.

nhphoneguy,

How are you routing calls through the switch to the fax server over the T1? Is there a way to have a DID number routed through to the fax server?

-Bunkman

The relevant did range is set up as a DSC. The DSC points to a RLB entry that is the tie line to the fax server, this way it delivers the dialed digits to the fax server. Pretty simple...We have 2000 numbers pointed at it.

nhphoneguy,

So there has to be a specific DID range? There's no way to select individual DID's for this purpose? Sorry bout my insufficient knowledge, but that's why I'm here. Appreciate all the help you've given me so far.

-Bunkman

In our case, we send an entire range. For example if the entire range 6800-6899 were to be routed, you set up a DSC for 68, but if you only wanted 6855 to go to the fax server, you put in a DSC only for 6855.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back