Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax pickup on non-fax line

Status
Not open for further replies.

atin90

Programmer
May 7, 2004
US
I finally managed to get incoming faxes recognized on my non-fax voice line 1. The manual does not tell you to include the extension that would normally take over with VMS in hunt group 8, which is reserved for fax. But I still do not understand why.

I wanted to have this ability because once in a while customer would send fax to our voice line instead of fax line. When we have an attended monitoring the incoming lines, that is no problem since she can transfer to the fax extension but after hours with auto attendant....

The only problem now is to figure out how to do the same with our second incoming voice line. There is no clear explanation and the only thing I could think of is putting extension 11, which is used for mailbox 2, in to hunt group 8. But that did not work.

I am still new to this and any help would be appreciated.

You only put the FAX machine's extension into Hunt Group 8. Then, as long as your lines are answered by the Auto Attendant, the ACS will automatically detect the CNG tone and transfer the incoming FAX to the FAX extension.

If you're using Partner Messaging or Partner Mail with the FAX extension option, either:

use the FAX extension in the Voice Mail settings and NOT put the extension into Hunt Group 8,

-OR-,

put the FAX extension in Hunt Group 8 and DON'T use the FAX extension setting in the voice mail.

Hi atin90,
Normally, all I've had to do was indicate the fax extension on the system (#601). Then, as an incoming fax call is answered by the attendant on any CO port that has fax CNG detection, the system transfers the call to the fax extension. Do not use the fax extension in the voice mail in this case. Place an internal autodial button on some phones for the fax extension. If you answer the calls manually, this will allow you to transfer the fax calls to the fax machine easier. It will also flash if the fax machine fails to answer a call. 206 cards do not have fax CNG detection.
-Chris

TouchToneTummy,

I did indicate the fax extension using #601 and then set up Hunt group 8 using #505 but it did not do anything....well almost nothing; I could tell that it detected incoming fax because the auto atendand message was cut short but then it never transfered to the fax.
When you say to put the Fax extension in the voice mail, do you mean to put it in Hunt group 7?

still confused
Atin

Atin,
Turn off distinctive ring on your fax extension & make sure the fax is set to autoanswer.
-Chris

Just found my own solution....had to change the'Intercom Dial Tone' to Machine on my fax line and it all works just fine now.

Thanks

Atin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back