Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fax over voip in home network? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronjie

MIS
Jul 15, 2002
Hi,

I've heard too many times that it's not possible. But I'm a possibilities kinda person. I would like to hear how IT IS possible

HOW can I use a fax machine both sending and receiving over a voip connection?

I have:

HP OfficeJet 6110 MultiFunction printer.
Brighthouse is my ISP.
Phonepower is my VOIP.

My routers are Linksys.

Thanx!

Ron V.

Thanx Brian,

Ok, Let's presume I'm new to this and don't know much about the components of a VOIP network.

What is an ATA? What does it look like? Where can I get one (cheaply, I hope? Money is at a premium at the moment)? Speaking of which what price range should I expect it?

Thanx again!

Ron V.

Most VOIP providers such as Vonage use an ATA ie Analog Terminal Adapter to connect your handset to the network. Linksys makes ATAs, but you have to work with your provider to make sure its compatible.

Ok,

My Provider Phonepower is of no help. I called them earlier today, and all the support person said was that they were not at this time supporting Fax over IP, but that they "might" starting Q3 this year.

That's a bit long.

Any ideas?

No problem.... did a little more digging and got:

Linksys "Tech Support" says that the RT31P2 ( what I got from PhonePower ) will not at all support fax over IP.

I just looked at PhonePower's website, and they are now featuring a Grandstream HT 502, that Grandstream's website says will support faxing.

I called PhonePower back, and the rep said to me that even though the unit may allow faxing, that they will not support it. As far as they are concerned it's still a 50/50 shot that it will work. Great. Q for you: Does a VOIP providor have to do anything different with the programming on their end to fasciliate faxing? Or is it just something that they are not familiar with and don't want to deal with?

They say that they will change the unit for me if I want it, but I'm just wondering if it's worth the change?

Ron V.

Ok some confusion I think is happening here:

Linksys "Tech Support" says that the RT31P2 ( what I got from PhonePower ) will not at all support fax over IP.

OK let me sort out a few thing for you.

ALL SIP ATA's can have a fax machine if they support voice, after all a fax is just a analogue signal. HOWEVER, the provider must use SIP and not some wierd obscure thing (such as Skype) and not restrict your choose of protocol. There are some ATA's that are locked down to prevent you editing the settings, but usually you can find an unlock guide on the web

Now the "Tech" at lynksys is proberbly getting confused (bless).
There is a protocol called "T.38" fax protocol. This is specially designed to allow faxes to run on lower bandwidths.
HOWEVER you do NOT need T.38 to run a fax. If your provider can use either g711a (non US) or g711u (US) (pronnounced Mu) that you should be ok, provded you have a decent bandwidth and your ISP doesn't throttle traffic. You may also get away with G729, but this is more hit and miss

So here is what you need.
1x ATA (they all supoprt G711)
Your provider to support G711u or G711a
Your ISP not to block or throttle this traffic.
The correct ports open on your firewalls (look up SIP & RTP firewall ports).

How do I know this.

We currently have about 50 faxes in business running over IP, none use T.38.

Hope this helps.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

StuReeves said:
Ok some confusion I think is happening here:

Quote:

You might be right, thing is when you look at Linksys's website, they seem to make a distinction between equipment that they market with "fax capability" ( PAP2 and like ) and equipment without ( the unit I have, the RT31P2 )

StuReeves said:
ALL SIP ATA's can have a fax machine if they support voice, after all a fax is just a analogue signal. HOWEVER, the provider must use SIP and not some wierd obscure thing (such as Skype) and not restrict your choose of protocol. There are some ATA's that are locked down to prevent you editing the settings, but usually you can find an unlock guide on the web.

Now the "Tech" at lynksys is proberbly getting confused (bless).

There is a protocol called "T.38" fax protocol. This is specially designed to allow faxes to run on lower bandwidths.

HOWEVER you do NOT need T.38 to run a fax. If your provider can use either g711a (non US) or g711u (US) (pronnounced Mu) that you should be ok, provded you have a decent bandwidth and your ISP doesn't throttle traffic. You may also get away with G729, but this is more hit and miss

So here is what you need.
1x ATA (they all supoprt G711)
Your provider to support G711u or G711a
Your ISP not to block or throttle this traffic.
The correct ports open on your firewalls (look up SIP & RTP firewall ports).

How do I know this.

We currently have about 50 faxes in business running over IP, none use T.38.

Hope this helps.

OK, and I by no means mean to be questioning your experience, heck, I'm coming here looking for answers, but how do you find out? This particular VOIP providor, will only come out and say that they "will not support it at this time, but might, later in Q3". Is there any way I can "snoop" and find what they are using?

Thanx,

Ron V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back