Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax, Modem, Credit Card machine issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortelopt61

Technical User
Mar 18, 2008
US
Hello Everyone,

Cs1000 rel 6

We recently starting having a issue with faxes, modems, credit card terminals failing randomly. I have checked the devices, tried different cards etc. Had carrier check circuits etc. and have come up empty. What I do know is I can swap a fax that is failing to send and receive out with a older model and 99.9 % of the faxes will go through. I have reached out to our PBX vendor for their assistance and they are looking into the problem as well.

I have tried things such as:
cls faxa and/or cls mpta.
Also check the fax machine programming as you may have to limit the maximum transmission rate. Without any difference.

This is only affecting outside faxes (not internal fax to fax). They are going out over PRI's and we have checked and we nor the carrier are seeing any issues there.

Vendor is wondering if a patch installed about 2 months ago could be causing the problem.

Check this:

CS1000: CS1000 - Not able send out fax through new VTRK patch installed

Document Id: KB01115565
Last Modified Date: 12-22-2011
Support Goal(s): Communication Server 1000/2000
Access Level: External Entitled

Version-Release

CS1000 Rls 6.0
Details

Not able send out faxes with new VTRK SU installed.
Description (Problem Clarification)

Not able send out faxes with new VTRK SU installed.

Customer has two systems on release 6.0 Cores. They are having Audio codes H.323 gateway.

On system 1 they have “cs1000-vtrk-6.00.18.65-21.i386.000.ntl” installed through which they can send and receive faxes properly but on System 2 if they install “cs1000-vtrk-6.00.18.65-75.i386.000.ntl” or "cs1000-vtrk-6.00.18.65-104.i386.000.ntl" they are able to receive faxes but are unable to send out faxes. Even on system 2 if they install “cs1000-vtrk-6.00.18.65-21.i386.000.ntl” it works fine.

Cause

VTRK patch
Problem Fix/Workaround/Solution

Resolution Plan

Created new vtrk SU - Nortel-cs1000-vtrk-6.00.18.65-121.i386.000

Saludos..

JLMT//

I would need a whole lot more information to help. Need to know what kind of switch you have, 1000 E, SG, MG, what? I usually see these issues on 1000E's because the max transmission rate between Media Gateways is 14.4

If your PRI's reside in a different media gateway than your analog phones you are using a DSP resource. You can only transmit and receive at 14.4

Our company had exactly same problem. It was working only inside by dialing DN. Not from outside.
Only analog line only.

The problem was occur since they made a update in our system.

I think your provider forgot to patch that fix.

So, let them know about it. They can surely help you out.

Good luck.

Hello Everyone,
The vendor has looked and ruled out any patch or lack of patches. In testing I found that this is only happening on one of three t1's. No changes in the Pbx have been made to the t's. The carrier tested and did not see any issues and then had Verizon out to test and they did not see anything wrong. During testing I replaced the csu and the pri card for that t and same thing. Carrier supplied a 120 csu to log both sides and we are waiting to see what happens.
Any idea's?

Thanks,

What kind of Central Office is your PRI connected to? We have had problems in the past when the CO changes to VoIP (GenBand). A temporary workaround in an office in Maine routed fax calls to a copper trunk instead of a PRI. The customer was having fax problems afrom certain areas.

Try this:

Communication Server 1000/2000: Intermittent fax to PSTN fax machine via CS1K PRI2

Document Id: KB01119328
Last Modified Date: 01-10-2012
Support Goal(s): Communication Server 1000/2000
Access Level: External Entitled

Version-Release

CS1KE R7.5
Details

current system,
PRI2 cards and Fax line analog cards are in different chassis's

Description (Problem Clarification)

Intermittent fax to PSTN fax machine via CS1K PRI2.
Cause

dsp sometimes cannot be used correctly, cannot change rate from voice to fax
Problem Fix/Workaround/Solution

Resolution Plan

Input all the PRI2 cards and fax line analog cards in same chassis or cabinet.
Improve fax working rate.

Saludos..

JLMT//

In this instance the PRI and the faxes are in the same cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back