Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax machine won't pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonesaz

Vendor
Dec 18, 2006
US
I have a very small client with three lines and a fax. I have line 4 set as the fax line; it is extension 34 on the phone system. If I plug a regular phone into extension 34, the line rings on that ext and no others, but if I plug the fax machine in it won't pick up and the call just rings forever; I can see it blinking on the other Partner phones which have a line appearance but no ring (I would like to keep it in the system so it is available for outbound calls.)

I went into programming and told the system it was a fax extension, and still no ringing. I have done this a lot in the past and every now and then this occurs. Any suggestions what causes it and if it can be fixed so the fax line can run through the system? I temporarily bypassed it until I had a chance to post this question here. Thanks!

I've seen some fax machines that simply won't answer to the ringing signal from a Partner control unit. They don't like the voltage and/or the waveform.

First just call the extension on the Intercom from another extension, and see if it picks up. You can also try setting #308 to Not Active.

What kind of fax machine?
Did you try connecting the fax directly to a CO line, and/or another Partner port?
Is this a new install or it has been in service a while and the problem is new?
Did you measure the ringing voltage on the port?

....JIM....

I had this issue once too. I think TT is correct about the ringing voltage. It sounds crazy, but we plugged a splitter into the wall where the fax connected and had a traditional 2500 (double gong metal ringer) set plugged in with the fax. The load of the ringer on this phone seemed to alter or drag the ringing voltage enough that their fax would answer. If we unplugged the phone, the fax didn't answer. We ended up putting the phone back in the equipment room on the same extension number and turned down the ringer as low as we could. It may or may not work.

TTT - I think you are right. Sysquest - the only thing I haven't done is tried a diff port. If that doesn't work I guess I will jsut keep it separate. It doesn't pick up either by extension or by the line assigned to it; a regular 18D plugged into the port does exactly what I want it to.. oh well.

Tommy s right and I've seen the issue also . you can still share the line if you use a line sharing device like the stick . that will pass CO ring voltage through direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back