Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax Issues on VG204

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteeler

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
Hello,

Had some fax issues on a VG204 that turned out to be a faulty VG. I moved the fax to another VG204 and it's working but there are some issues. It will receive a fax no problem. The issue is when you send a fax the other end will receive the first page and that's it. Any ideas what might be happening here? The fax is a Xerox color qube 9302, but I've also tried a basic fax on the same line and had the same result. Thanks

Faxes on VG's are pretty much like this:

If you can't receive. It's you.

If they can't receive. It's them.

Sounds like its a speed mismatch. If you are using 14400 baud rate and they are using something higher..then yes they could have issues receiving. I have seen that issue even with faxes on POTS lines.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

It's odd... they can fax a mulitple page fax to a few offices with no issues. When they fax to one site the first page of the fax comes in but not the other two. If they fax the other way all 3 pages show up.

Yeah, definitely sounds like its that particular office issue. Which I am assuming is not in your facility or under your control.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

I have access to the VG204 but the office is 4.5 hours away

Oh ok. In that case, have you tried lowering the speed of the fax machine that is having issues receiving?

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

Getting faxing working for me with a VG-224 and my ATA-187's was a pain. I got a lot of conflicting advice too. My reseller support said to lower everything to 14400 ... but when I opened a TAC case with Cisco, that tech said that with "modem pass-through" we should be able to run it at top speed. I was also told by one party that we should disable the error correction on the machine ... but then others told me that should always be enabled, especially with fax pass-through. In the end, I left all that correction on the machine alone. But you may want to ask the site that you are having trouble with to turn it *on* if it's off.

Do you know if modem-passthrough has been configured on your voice gateway router?

Incidentally ... this was the one line that I had to enable on my voice router to enable modem passthrough.
Code:
mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse

Below are the fax statements I have on the routers at both locations

voice service voip
fax protocol t38 version 0 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback none
h323

mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse (this one was one the sending location but not the site receiving only 1 of 3 pages of the fax)

Put the passthrough on the receiving router as well. Also, what are these routers primarily using? MGCP or H323?

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

I added that command to the receiving site and they received the 1st page of the fax 9 times and not the other two pages. Both sites are H323. The sending site has maybe 10 analog trucks they use for inbound/outbound and th receiving side is using a T1 with 12 channels as inbound and the other 12 as outbound. Next month the receiving side will be moved to a PRI. Thanks

I think the next step would be to post the config of the receiving router or at least the voice side of things to check out.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back