Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax issues - Gain control - BCM400 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

felderman1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2007
US
For some reason no matter what word I search for, I get 0 results. So I apologize if this has already been covered.

I have an ISDN PRI feeding my system. I have set up routes and destination codes to forward my DID fax numbers to external fax machines at an E-faxing company. The issue arose that their fax machines are getting huge amounts of errors.

I had the circuit checked and the tech said it was fine and suggested I should lower my gain.

I found a few references in the help file:
Loop start analog/digital fields - "Loss Packages"
E&M fields - "Gain"

I do not know where those options are.

I also found: T1 interface parameters (region-specific) - "CSU line Build", but that is set to 0 dB, so I don't think that can be lowered.

Any ideas or suggestions?

You don't play with GAIN on a PRI. If your circuit is working, don't touch it. Only if it breaks, do you hit it harder.

Changing any line parameter at your end shouldn't make any difference to what happens at the e-faxing company as your line is only the interface between you and the telco (unless of course it is a point-to-point ciruit, but you would have indicated this if it were so).

I would have the efaxing comany have their lines checked and report back to you and the status of their service that you are paying for.

I would check the clocking on the PRI's. Have you tryed to call a diferant number to see if the call is getting thru.

That is a good point about it not being a point-to-point. I hadn't looked at it that way.

How would I check the clocking on the PRI?

I have set the numbers to forward to our old fax provider and everything appears to be fine. So I think, oh it must be the new provider's lines. However, they have a lot of customers on the exact same lines and are telling me there have been no errors on any of the other lines.

I appreciated the replies. Thanks

If your BCM is handling other (voice) calls with no issues, don't worry about clocking on your PRI. You are just redirecting an inbound call back out the same PRI.

I don't think that your efaxing company's answer is acceptable and your test to your old provider is the proof. If they are using a pooled resource to receive faxes, how do they provide you with an SLA (no busy signals on your incoming fax calls).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back