Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax Finder by MultiTech // 3rd party voicemail ideas? on Norstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwadswor

Technical User
Oct 12, 2001
US
Hello!

I am trying to configure a product called a FaxFinder by MultiTech on my Norstar MICS.

The way this product is supposed to work is as follows:

A block of (40) DID's are pointed to my MICS over the PRI.
These 40 DID's are pointed to two DN's on an Analog Station Module, and these two ports are connected to the Fax Finder (it has two Analog ports).

The Fax Finder's job is to answer the faxes, convert the fax to an image file (.tif) and e-mail the file to the proper recipient.

MultiTech (the Manufacturer) says that the FaxFinder listens on the line after the call connects for the PBX to send to it DTMF tones of the extension called, or the last four digits of the TN. With that, the FaxFinder has a database (that I program) to convert that TN to an email address, and sent it from there.

-------------------

So FINALLY, my issue is this: it seems like the MICS isn't sending the DTMF tones through to the Fax Finder. It may be that this just isn't something that the MICS is designed to do. MultiTech says that some customers have tricked their PBX's into thinking that the ports that the FaxFinder is connected to are really voicemail ports, since many voicemail systems use DTMF tones to communicate with the PBX.

Any ideas on how to get the FaxFinder to communicate with the PBX? Any way to 'trick' the MICS into thinking that those ASM ports are connected to a voicemail system, or to get it to send DTMF tones of the called number?

Thanks for reading all of this, and thanks in advance for your help!!

Jon

You keep saying "PBX", the MICS is not a PBX but a Key System. does Fax Finder work with Key Systems?

Yes, the Fax Finder works with Key Systems as well. The requirement that MultiTech gives is that the system must be able to deliver calls sent to many DIDs on through to one or two extensions.

I'm having no problems with this part, it's just that the MICS isn't sending the DTMF tones on down the line.

Any ideas on that part?

Thanks again,

Jon

I have an MICS, so your menu structure might differ, but in the MICS:
Terminals & Sets/Telco Features/1st Display
Change it to Name for all your sets.

polarbear85

The VMI will pass DTMF but I still don't know if it is going to work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back