Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Favorites Icons in Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

abba11

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
CA
Is there any way to prevent Windows from replacing unique icons with the MS logo? I find that really annoying because it makes finding my Favorites somewhat more difficult.
JB

Thanks for the suggestion but the download is not free. I am running IE 6.0. Does it have this feature built in and if so how might I access it?

John

Sorry, it used to be freeware. That feature is not part of IE 6. It's only 365KB. I can email it to you if you post an email. Jim

Hi John,

The icon is called a Favicon. Here's how to make the icon permanent without software.

First clean out your cache.
Go to the site and Add the site to your Favorites (this will load the icon into your cache).
Now look in the cache (or do a Find for Favicon*).
These Favicons are not named so you will need to view the icon in thumbnail view mode in Explorer or a graphic program that handles ico files to see if the Favicon file you find is the one you want. Also if this is the only site that you have been to since the cache was cleaned out, then the only Favicon there will be the one you want.
Right click this Favicon and Copy.
Create a folder (say, Favicons in My Documents) and paste this Favicon into it. Now right click and rename the Favicon the name of the site (easier for you to find it when you get several Favicons).
Right click the Favorite shortcut to that site and select Properties. Select Change icon button. Browse to this Favicon folder you made and highlight the Favicon you put there. OK your way out. The Icon will load from this saved image and will not disappear when the cache is cleared.

HTH, Dana:))

Thank you so much.

The email address is:

oakvilleonca@hotmail.com

John

ANFPS26
Thank you so much for taking the time to send me the FavOrg program. It's exactly what I have been looking for.
John

Hello,

I also love having icons in my favourites, and dispair when the cache is cleared.

Would it be possible if you could e-mail favorg?

scott_glenister@yahoo.co.uk

Many Thanks

Scottie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back