Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Favorite Word 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
What word do you like the most? Why?
What word do you like the least? Why?

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I like any long words ending in vowels. I'm not sure why; they just seem to be, at least, relatively uncommon.
Examples? incognito

However, my "favorite" word changes virtually daily, so this might not last too long.

--Chessbot

"In that blessed region of Four Dimensions, shall we linger on the threshold of the Fifth, and not enter therein? Ah, no! [...] Then, yielding to our intellectual onset, the gates of the Sixth Dimension shall fly open; after that a Seventh, and then an Eighth -- --" Flatland, A. Square (E. A. Abbott)

I tend to like words that enable you to get a good grip on them with your tongue, such as 'resplendent'.

Least liked would be 'woody' sounding words such as 'conker'......

There you go, you did ask for it! :)

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:

If I have a least favorite word, it's usually any word or phrase that I hear overused. My daughter is in a "constant talk" phase, and she usually begins one of her multihour monologues with, "Uh, Daddy?" I'm beginning to dread that utterance.

I have a fondness for unusual words that describe words or phrases, litotes, anthimeria and chiasmus

There are also those $2.00 words that describe body parts and that are a perennial favorite of my inner teenager, such as bathykolpian and callipygian.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

I've always liked the word onomatopoeia. I can't say it's my favorite, because there are just too many words to choose just one. What about obstreperous, and evanescent, and propinquitous, and chiaroscuro? Prestidigitation! Elision! The list goes on.

I dislike words that I think are misused. Like pitiful (instead of pitiable). And I don't really like the word egghead.

Sleipnir214, the only word of those that I know and can define is callipygian.

-------------------------------------
• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

I meant, I didn't know them from memory. I already visited the links to learn. [smile]

I dislike "Dude" and "Bro" and other words that convey a sense of familiarity that I do not share with the speaker.

I like words that have a base word that immediately conveys part of the word's meaning like "sparkling" and "royalty".

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Systems Project Analyst/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle/Windows
Author and Sole Proprietor of a web store

sharpnel and modem
modem cuz it is like a matra
sharpnel cuz I can hear the fragment of metal whizing by my head when I say it

orypecos,

Do you mean shrapnel? I suppose it's composed of more blunt bits of metal than sharpnel. [smile]

cuz???

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

moist is a horrible word, it makes me cringe when i say it.

ESquared I agree, onomatopoeia "sizzles", are you an onomatomaniac?

Family - favorite word and the reason I get up every morning

Drama - least favorite word and something I try my best to avoid

boyd.gif

mscallisto,

No, but I find myself somewhat onomatopoetic. Males tend to be more so than females (Supposedly, studies show that 100% of young girls' communication is conversation with other people or with themselves, and that up to 40% of young boys' communication is just noises).

With a 10 month old son (my first child), my favourite word at the moment is "da da" (although it tends to actually be "da da da da da da da nooo" or similar...)

My favorite word lately is "ubiquitous". It just sounds good and makes me feel smart. It's also easier to say and sounds more sophisticated than "omnipresent".

My least favorite word is "standardly". A term I don't think I'd ever heard until a few years ago and just gets used so much I'm tired of it. It seems like a word someone is trying make up in the moment instead of using correct language. But I have to admit it IS in my dictionary (much to my disappointment).

fav word is "love", b/c i like to love & be loved
despised word of all time, "thing", it means everything and absolutely nothing at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back