Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Faulty Ultra 320 SCSI 10K in RAID 5 Config 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJOL

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2005
IE
I have a red light on a drive in bay 2 of a HP Proliant ML370. The HP diagnostic utility says to replace the drive and I'm waiting on shipment of same from HP. The OS is W2K3 Server.

Is it just a case of powering down the server and replacing the faulty drive with the identical replacement from HP ? Do I have to do anything in the HP Array configuration utility ? There are 4 x Ultra SCSI 320 10K drives in my RAID 5 configuration.

Thanks in advance

you shouldnt even have to shutit down the ultra 320 are hot swapable pull the drive out and put in the new one and it will automattically rebuild

hope this helps

Thanks.

I thought I was on a home run with the replacement drive in bay 2 on-line after the re-build on the server . Now the drive in bay 0 has a flashing red x, flashing green AND access light. I sent the diagnostic log to HP and they have shipped me another replacement drive for the now faulty drive in bay 0.

I guess bay 1 and 3 are looking suspect as the next failures !!

with a bad drive in a raid five you are running in a degraded state not so bad but you need to get it replaced asap because if another drive fails in the raid set while that oine is still bad you are screwed.....but remember to check if the drives your are using are hotswapable because there are some that arent but if they are all 320's youre ok

Hi

Be sure to swap only one drive at a time and allow them to complete the rebuild or you will lose the integrity on the raid array and lose the lot.
Otherwise the advise above is good.

Regards

Dave

I replaced the drive in bay 0 with the replacement from HP. I now have four healthy ultra scsi 320 drives in the RAID 5 logical configuration. Happy days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back