Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

faulty links in browser preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

madotek

Technical User
Feb 4, 2006
US
I'm new to DW (used Frontpage so far) and here is my problem: I have created pages using template, CSS and behaviors. When I preview each individual page (using F12), no problem, they all look fine. However, when I preview one page and click on a link, then the page I'm linking to has lost all behaviors (lost images from swaps) and CSS attibutes. Again, when previewed individually using F12, that same page displays properly. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help I can get.

I find that when you veiw a page linked from the page you F12, all the external links get 'lost' (depends how they are linked, relative vs absolute, and the location of the linked files etc), the site should work fine once you put it to a remote site.

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome now..

Really DaRNCaT? That does't sound right?

Madotek, It's probably the location of your template. It should be inside a folder called Templates and it should be on the 1st level (ie not inside any other folder). Then make sure that you go back to your template and select all the links using the point-to-file thingy. Re-save your template and it should update all the pages using that template.

DaRNCaT is right,

When you preview (using F12) DW creates a temporary folder and pagename, and you are seeing that in the browser. No other pages are created in the same location so are not there for the links to work correctly.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hmmmmm. I've tried several different sites, and all links (relative and absolute) work perfectly from the preview on *my* PC. Even DW 3 used to allow this. Don't know what would be different to my setup than yours, guys. Perhaps Madotek should remove the behaviours from one of the links and see if the same problem arises with a straight relative link.

Otherwise, in the site definition, I have links relative to Document, and cache enabled.

It's nonsense to suggest that you can't test your links prior to uploading to a server.

Or Edit>Preferences>Preview in Browser>Uncheck the Preview using temporary File option

[Peace][Pipe]

Thank you to all of you for your input. I tried all the suggestions from within Dreamweaver and nothing worked; until I was finally able to upload the site and sure enough, DarnCart and ChrisHirst were right: all the links work perfectly. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back