Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Faulty hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlucky2

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
US
My 1 yr old 2gb drive recently failed. It was a bit of a lingering death with scandisk reporting problems and eventually the FAT becoming unreadable. Scandisk reported physical damage and norton that the FAT was irreperable.Fdisk would not restore the drive. This was confirmed by a local dealer.
Now my new 15gd Maxstor drive is showing the same sort of symptoms after 2 weeks of perfect operation. Scandisk has reported (and fixed) 2 bad sectors and has hung 3 times without reaching completion. 2 days ago I had to boot with my Windows 98 start up disk (m/c reported "no system disk") and later on, my C: drive disappeared altogether. Yesterday the machine booted normally and ran windows 98 and scandisk successfully.Today, so far it's ok again.
Have I got a dodgy new drive or is there a fault on my motherboard? It seems too hit and miss to be a virus.

Sounds like it might be the motherboard. First thing I would try is to replace IDE cable and see how it goes. Also, I would check and make sure all of the fans are working in your system. It could be a overheating problem.

OK, thanks Dean. It's now been fine again for 48 hours and so I don't think it's overheating. I'll change the cable and if the problem comes back, it looks like a new motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back