Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fault Tolerance Challenge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ITconsultant

Technical User
May 17, 2006
US
I am about to reinstall Advanced Server 2000 on a Netfinity 5000 Server Type 8659 Model 41Y. I have found a 68 pin SCSI connector on the board. I intend to deploy a drive using that connector [NOT to be part of my 5 drive RAID 5 Array] Want to know if there is a way to introduce fault tolerance [mirroring] for the operating system with this setup. Advice sought on how to have the OS on a RAID partition and on a partition on the independent SCSI drive

Hi, recently checked out the integrated RAID on an 2002 era xSeries box. The integrated Adaptec SCSI chip supported RAID type zero and one; stripe and mirror. We have a ServeRAID controller for RAID5. We have not tested running a ServeRAID running 5 and integrated RAID running type 0, 1 simultaneously. But it sounds feasible as the integrated could run on Channel 2 addressed drives. Recommend that you download your server's Hardware Maintenance Manual on ibm.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back