Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatal linker error. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagenetics

Programmer
Dec 8, 2003
PL
Every time I try to compile a project in my C++Builder 6 Enterprise I get an error message "[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Expected a file name:". This occurs even when I compile a default File->New->Application without modifying anything in the code.

I've re-installed Builder and nothing has changed.

Dear imagenetics,

error "[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Expected a file name:".
I think when YOu have a new project, YOu should give it a name, maybe bcb6 won't ask You before liniing that it's needed?

Please check project->options in the BCB main menu, how Your settings are!

regards,

Michael

Maybe you should at least post your solution...

Maybe it will help someone else.

Just a thought [thumbsup2].

No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

You're right, I would post a solution if it wasn't so hard-core and ultimate.

I didn't solve this by changing compiler options or the code or anything like this. I simply uninstalled Builder again, removed all registry entries refering to it and shared files in Program Files->Common files that were not removed during unistall. Then once again reinstalled Builder and everything is in order now.

A friend told me that linker errors may occure because of debugger or compiler misconfiguration. I'm not familiar with those however so I decided to simply kick it in the ass ;-)

Well the most easy way to solve that problem is to close BCB and reload the project file. Should work then

-Richard

I had the same problem too.
What I did to solve this was that every time that I needed create a new project I created using the Application Wizard from the New Items Dialog

--- LastCyborg ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back