Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatal IO Error 104 When installing Redhat 7.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdrinks

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
GB
This is my first attempt at installing any version of linux so please bear with me.

I purchased a boxed set of Redhat Linux 7.1 Professional edition so I had all the manuals to help, but after 3 weeks of trying I have still not successfully installed a copy on to my machine.

When I start the install I get as far as:
... X Server started successfully.
(not very far I know)
then I get this:

Gdk-ERORR **: Fatal IO Error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server :1.
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...done
sending kill signals...done
disabling swap...
unmounting file systems...
/proc/bus/usb
/mnt/runtime
/mnt/source umount failed ()
/dev/pts
/proc
you may safley reboot your system

I have searched the Web and all I can find, is that it is something to do with the graphics card, so I have tried the install with both a PCI and AGP card but get the same result.

The Hardware I have is:
Soyo SY-6BB Motherboard
Pentium PII 333Mhz Processor
2 x 3.2GB IDE Hard drives (One set to Master, one to Slave)
CD-ROM Drive
Floppy Drive
Beklin USB/USB2 PCI Card
Logitech Cordless USB Trackball (Attached to the USB Card)
AGP Graphics Card (at the moment)

I am installing from the Redhat Source CD.

If someone could help or point me in the right direction it would be very much appricated, I am determined not to give up!

Thanks
Matt

Why RH7.1 and not something newer? I bet if you install RH9 you wont have any problems. Go into a newsagent and you can probably get it off with a Linux magazine.

It might help to know the name of the graphics cards you tested. If I'm correct, there's a way to start the Redhat Install by command-line instead of GUI. When you first boot the cd up, try looking for boot options

And please, AP81, an older installer should work with his older hardware. Using the latest version is a windows trend that microsoft invented. I'm using a 2.2 kernel on my router because it is much more stable on that hardware than 2.4 .

If it works, dont fix it.... but his doesnt work. Chances are, RH9 wont do a damn bit of good. That, and his 333 MHz P2 couldnt handle it.

Please let Tek-Tips members know if their posts were helpful.

The reason I am using RH7.1 is it was the version that was in the store when I was browsing, and was at a greatly reduced price as RH8 had just been released.

Want I am really after acheiving is to turn my old machine into a firewall to allow my other PCs to access the internet. I have heard and read that linux was very good at this, so thought I would give it a try. (Most of my work is with Windows based systems)

AP81, First I would just like to Get RH7.1 up and running then If needs be I can upgrade to a newer version. I also hope to learn a lot about linux, as at the moment my knowledge is at a level of zero.

krale, I beleive the AGP card is a Riva Nivida TNT2 I do not know what the the PCI card is (I am now at work and the machine is at home). I have just visited Nivida website and found 3 linux drivers IA32, IA64 and AMD64. I guess I need the IA32 version.

Is it possible to do a text install and then update the graphics driver and install GUIs, I would like to give OpenOffice a try before I attempt to turn the machine into a firewall, when I probably will not need the GUI.

Like I said this is my first experince of Linux so I am a just trying to get a GUI install working so I can play and learn. I will try again tonight when I get home,

Thanks for the tips
Matt

That's probably what you'll have to do.

1: Check on nVidia's web site for the exact version of RH for the nvidia drivers.

2: If they have them, download the pack and install it using rpm. I'd check what rpm --help is to tell you the install command, but I dont use Red Hat.

3: then try running from commandline xfree86setup . That should allow you to configure X with the Nvidia card.

Personally, it'd be better if you could slap an ATI or cheap card in there. Nvidia's are a bitch to get on in a default install.

There's a way to make sure it will work with your hardware, but it requires downloading the 2.4.20 kernel and compiling it yourself. Well, unless you're intimate with Unix and Linux, I'd advise NOT doing that.

Please let Tek-Tips members know if their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back