Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatal exception OE has occured at 0028: 000071D5 in VXD VMM(01) + 0000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have been gettting the following blue screen of death while playing games such as Diablo II and others.<br><br>A fatal exception OE has occured at 0028:000071D5 in VXD VMM(01) + 000061D5<br><br>I run the following:<br><br>Asus K7V<br>Athlon 750<br>128 MB micron pc 133 memory<br>Diamond Viper 770 Ultra (4X AGP)<br>Soundblaster Live! XGamer<br>3Com 56K Gamer modem<br>IBM Deskstar 22 GPX hard drive<br>HP 8100i CD rom drive<br><br>I have tried the VMM32.VXD fix and the soundblaster file fix that was suggested in other threads with no positive results.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have removed my soundcard and uninstalled all of it's software to see if that was the problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Does anyone have any suggestions of how to take care of this problem?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>

Check MS articles Q256850, Q242161. Which version of Windows are you running? <p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I assemble and sell these things.

I have a PII/200 which has been in use for a couple of years. It has just been reformatted and W98 SE installed from scratch. Today I started getting 'Fatal Exception 0E' errors. I started to reinstall W98 again, and was getting errors there too! Many responses I've read here referred to AMDs overheating, fan problems, etc., so I initially dismissed them. I could hear and feel the fan running, and nothing new has been added to this PC for while. I finally decided to reseat the RAM chips. Lo and behold, when I opened the case, I found dust clots in the processor fan, which looked big enough to keep it from running (I pulled them out before realizing I should have tested this). I'm now reinstalling everything, just to make sure.

Moral of the story: Don't rule out overheating just because the case fan is running.

HCEONETMAN

Fellow Gamer,

I had a friend who kept BSODing like that. I found a demo version of Norton's System Utilities, installed it on his system, and ran system diagnostics on everything. It turned out to be a stick of memory he recently bought that had a bad block in it. The only difference was his BSoD mentioned VCACHE where yours does not.

VxD points to a device driver and VMM is virtual memory manager. This is definitely a low level hardware malfunction. Could be a malfunctiong device or a poorly written device driver. Since it does it during gaming I would check out the memory, processor, video, and sound.

I too have the Sound Blaster Live XGamer card. The thing has issues. I am unable to play certain games. Black and White being one. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Santa Cruz.

If you can't get a hold of a diagnostics utility I would try re-installing the video driver, sound driver, and direct X. Running the DirectX setup might help too. If it crashes during one of its tests that can help point you in a direction. First un-install drivers in safemode then re-install drivers in safe mode. Also make sure if you have a via chipset to do all their recommended updates. I think they have 4.35 out now if I recall.

Good Luck,

jade>:):O>

First try a full surface scan of your hard drive. If Virtual Memory is involved. Windows could be trying to access data from a bad sector in the *.swp file.

Also experiment with different pci slots on the LIVE! It is a known resource hog and doesn't share well with others. I've had more than one mobo that required it to be in a certain slot before it would run without freezing.

Disable as much crap in the systray as possible.

Disable the Legacy gaming and any other devices such as com ports that you don't use for that matter. The less IRQ's that are actually shared the better, IMHO.

Dennis

Follow-up to my previous post. Yes, the processor fan was stuck, but the processor is still ok. Eventually I singled out one RAM SIMM - caused problems in whichever PC I installed it. Machine runs fine now without it.
Sometimes you just have to keep digging, one component at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back