Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatal Error during Normal launch, but not after "Shift" launch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfatz

Technical User
Nov 16, 2004
US
I have an access database (Access 2003) running on an XP laptop.

When I double click the shortcut to launch the database I get the security dialog. No problem since I have my security set to ask if I want to run macros.

But if I enable macros, after a bit of time I get a dialog that tells me an error occurred and asks if I wish to send a report to MicroSoft.

Now, if I hold down the Shift key when I "enable" macros, the database loads. Naturally, it doesn't go to the Switchboard because I've avoided any autostarting mechanism.

Now the tricky part. I can excercise every form, report, etc. without futher errors. I've tried to run everything that executes a macro, including the switchboard, and can not get the error (whatever it is) to occur. It only occurs if I don't "Shift" during launch.

What am I missing, or where should I be looking for the culprit. Needless to say, the error report was of little use to me for tracking this problem down.

Thanks for bearing with me this long. I know that this is a bit long-winded.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Well, if you get the error if the Switchboard is opened, but don't get the error if the Switchboard isn't opened (when you bypass it using <Shift>) on firing up the database, the Switchboard and it's code would probably be a good starting point!

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

missinglinq
I thought that as well. But after I do a "shifted" start I am able to launch the Switchboard without the error. In fact, everything appears to run fine.

I'm beginning to think that it must be due to code that compiles during the startup, but is then no longer needed. I just don't know where to look for it.

Later

"There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!"
By why bother, they already come with a skin!

Don't you have a macro named AutoExec ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV,
Sorry, but no macros at all. I prefer VBA.
The properties for the dB are set to start up with the Switchboard form if that helps.
Later,

Is this a "switchboard" form i.e a form you created to act like a switchboard, or a switchboard created by the Switchboard Manager? Never use them myself, as they are very limited in scope and tend to be probelematic, but somewhere in the back of my steeltrap mind (steeltrap mind, but left out in the rain too many seasons!) I seem to remember that Manager created Switchboards have macros behind them.

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

In this case, I left the Switchboard Manager create the switchboard. I then modified the code to suit my needs. Technically, the switchboards contain code in modules, not macros, but that may be just semantics.

I don't think that it is the switchboard code, because I can run the switchboard without any problems. The problem is when Access automatically starts the switchboard. The error occurs after I click on enabling the "macros", but before the switchboard has a chance to load (or show at least).

Really no macro, even when showing hidden objects ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

You could easily be dealing with some sort of corruption. Import everything into a fresh new db that has Tools>Options>General Tab>Name AutoCorrect turned Off. See if you still have the same problem.

HTH RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP winXP Pro
Please respond to this forum so all may benefit

PHV,
Guess what, there really are no macros. I double checked to make sure that show hidden was checked, and it was. For grins, I even checked to show system objects, but only see what I would expect in the table section.
RG,
I'll give your route a try. I've done that before, but was kinda hoping for another solution.

It only takes a minute or two to import into a fresh db. It is always useful to make sure you are not dealing with some sort of corruption.

I would try modifying the database so that it doesn't automatically launch the switchboard.

If it still breaks, then you have something else running that you don't realize.

If it doesn't break, then there is something weird about the execution of the switchboard on startup (such as something not linked or initialized, etc.). To debug this further, I would put a breakpoint in the VBA code and step through it to find where it is blowing up.

I tried RuralGuy's (aka RG) suggestion and imported everything to a new dB. That seems to have worked. What ever was broken is no longer there.

Thanks for all the help

Great news. Thanks for posting back with your success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back