Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatal Error: C0000094 on Windows 10 PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmpalmer

Programmer
Aug 19, 2003
GB
Hi, I have over 300 users across the country using my app on all flavours of Windows without issue but this one has me flummoxed.

The app is quite a big SQL base client server compiled exe built in VFP9 SP2.
I have one client who's PC's are all Windows 10 and their installations are no different to anybody elses with a standard VFP9 runtime libraries, Windows Common Controls and a few other dependables for various features in the system.

The system has been running fine for some months and then recently they started to get Fatal Exceptions not when launching the app but when they try and open a form within the app after log in.

If I reinstall the app it works again for a short while (few days) then starts to crash again.

Logic implies it's a conflict with another app using a shared resource that is changing when that application is run that then upsets VFP but I'm guessing.. No other sites have the issue. This is the Error:

fatal_xm38yp.jpg

Anyone any clues?

Bob Palmer
The most common solution is H2O!

Very basic info: May be stop outlook for few days for debugging purposes. 'End Task' for any outlook instance(s)
I guess rest of the application works fine except this option.

Bob,
This one pc with the C000005 error, does it have an other anti-virus than the others? And or is the anti-virus updated to most recent version?
Regards,
Jockey2

Nasib, Jockey:

A small HowTo answer posts, in the aspect of reacting to the latest post in a thread:

1. Look at the date of the initial post. Always. It'll show you, whether the thread really is current or old. A long thread new to you is a sign it is not new at all.
2. If it's old scroll down to find the new message.
3 a) When you ever participated, Tek-Tips has a nice feature at the top called "Read New Posts", it scrolls down to the new unread posts by knowing how many posts there were when you last visited. It sometimes fails, but it spares a lot of scrolling, though you might try CTRL+END.
3 b) When you never participated in it since the original post time, it'll appear new to you, but still isn't, you scroll down manually to the end of the thread, again CTRL+END.

In this case, you find how the OP posts back with his success, I think this is very ok and legitimate. In other cases, someone might have the same question and should instead have started a new thread, linking to the old one as a reference.

Bye, Olaf.

UPDATE
The issue detailed here has been resolved.
On the two forms that caused the error were grids that use a Foxprint true type font on a particular column because they needed to display block chrs rather than letters. This font, although installed by our system installer was becoming corrupted in Windows 10 FontCache (the memory area where fonts are loaded) it seems MS put extra protection on the fonts on V 1703!
I will leave the rest to your imagination as to how it corrupts....
We have removed the font reference and used a different display method and now all is working.
Thanks all for your suggestions and advice.

Bob Palmer

Bob,
That's great info. These little obscure errors can really drive one crazy. I'll try to keep this in mind for future too. This is why this forum rocks.
Thanks for posting up the resolution.

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Bob,

Good to hear you have solved the problem. Thanks for letting us know.

What puzzles me is how you managed to discover the cause of the problem. It would never have occurred to me to look for a corrupted font.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Pure process of elimination Mike.
The two forms that were generating the error had to have something in common.
Because the second (rota display form) had a lot less objects on it I removed common objects one at a time from it and then tested on a faulting machine until it no longer crashed.

The Rota has two grids on it (Separate page frames) so once I discovered it was only one of those that was faulting, it was then a case of looking for the difference between the two grids. The only difference of significance was the font definition on the block display columns which was the same as a small warning grid on the other faulting form.

Google 'Font problems Windows 10 1703' brings up a whole raft of issues not least the corruption/removal of Fonts. MS in the 1703 release introduce a 'Security protection' around Fonts and there seems to be a veriety of causes especially if a server GPO is set to control Fonts. Either way they claim it will be fixed in the 1709 release but my faith in not using a MS O/S until its been out for a year or 3 is once again reafirmed!

Bob Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back