Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fat32 to NTFS - how much time

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeans

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2000
CA
I have a win 2000 server with 25 GB of an 80 GB drive used. 1.5 Gb of RAM. I need to convert to ntfs. My question is approximately how long will it take? I have not had occasion to do this conversion before so I just need to know if I can come in an hour early or should I be prepared for an overnighter or somewhere in between. I will be running "covert c: /fs:ntfs" from a command line. Thanx.

To be honest I have no idea, but you would be better to run it at the end of the day when you have 15 or so hours rather than come in an hour early and have only an hour.

Thats my 2 cents.

Scott.

Windows and NT Admin.

I've just done this on three XP laptops with 30Gig drives and it took about 10 mins on each 1.5GHz celeron CPU 256Mb RAM. It shouldn't take long really but i'm not going to offer any guarantees.

Why not get a test box and lash in an 80gig drive and try.

I appreciate the input. I will be in a few hours early but doing the conversion at the end of the day is not a good option for me as I finish my day long before the users that access this info are finished and I live a couple of hours away. I thought it would take a relatively short time but just wanted to check. Thanx again.

It would vary based on how full he disk is, how many files you have on disk and the level of fragmentation. Make sure your drive has been de-fragged, and then as everyone else has mentioned perform the operation after hours

It took about 12 minutes and went without a hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back