Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FAT32 Fragmentation....URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UWTechie

Programmer
May 24, 2001
CA
I work on a Win2000 professional system that is linked to a network, giving me access to a number of drives.

I have been working here for three and a half months, and everything has been fine up till last week. What has been happening is that for some inexplicable reason, I keep on losing the ability to log onto the networked drives... My security clearance gets wiped out, and I cannot connect to anything... Then my password is forgotten, and I am locked out... I can still access my C drive, but all the work that I do is on my network drives, which I cannot access.

Every time that this happens, I call one of the SA's and ask her to fix it up... Then she resets my password, and it all works fine... For a day or so, then the same problem rears its ugly head.... This has now happened five times in the last week...

Yesterday, I decided to start trying to determine if something is going on with my pc... So I defragged my pc... Thing is that my the total fragmentation in my FAT32 was 24% and the File fragmentation was 49%... So I defragged it, and the defrag did nothing... So I tried a few more times, and each time it told me that the defrag was complete, and each time it did nothing...

Could this have to do with my continuing difficulties? When I log on, my password is used to access the other drives. If FAT32 is so fragmented, could my password file then become corrupt? Then if it did, since it would try that same corrupted password 5 times or so to get onto all the drives, then could that be what keeps on locking me out? Since too many attempts can get you logged out, maybe with the one failed attempt, it will automatically get more attempts logged, since it tries to access multiple drives...

Can anyone help me? Does anyone have an idea as to what may be causing these difficulties? I would be really greatful for any comments/replies, whether they be on how to fix the problem, or a confirmation of what the actual problem may be....

Is this the only machine you log into? if you are logged into another machine, it will continue to poll using the original password and will lock you out, the same thing will happen if you are mapping to another drive using your credentials on anothers machine

Keep in mind that file fragmentation doesn't mean file corruption. It just means that that files are found in many places on a disk and not in one contiguos area. I would doubt the line of thinking that the ID file was corrupt. I'm not a gambler, but I would put my money somewhere else. You might ask the SA to delete your ID and recreate it. I would put more weight on that being a solution. Just my two coppers.

Sounds like a profile issue. If your network uses roaming profiles, you can have all sorts of problems like that. If it doesn't, then you still may have a profile issue. If other accounts work fine on your pc, then it is definetly a profile issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back