Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FastT200 Expanding Existing Logical Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradbregen

Technical User
Feb 26, 2002
CA
I have a X440 directly connected to my FastT200 via fibre HBA, we had 5 * 73 GB drives in it (RAID 5). Now we need more disk space so I added 5 more 73 GB drives and added the drives to the exisiting array using IBM's management tool. What I need to know is how to add that space to the logical drive as it's capacity has not changed. As this is housing our production SQL server I don't want to have to do a restore as one of the DB is quite large in size > 65 GB.

Thanks

Brad.

Usually with the "Expand" function on RAID Arrays....FC or SCSI...Only the Raid PACK can be expanded. The logical drives can not be expanded.

In most cases customers create the additional Logical drives and assign access to the same server as the existing Logical disk. Then if you are using Windows 2000 or greater...you would use WIndows disk manager
with "Dynamic" disk turned on to join the disks.

Or if you have time, due to the fast performance of your storage...backup you data to another Logical disk and re-create the whole pack with 1 large Logical disk.

Regards

Bernard.

Brad

There may be some mistakes in what I have said, Logical Disk Expansion may be avaliable.....need to confirm..

regards

Bernard,

Yes DCE (Dynamic Capacity Expansion) which is expansion of the RAID array, and DVE (Dynamic Voluem Expansion) are both supported in v8 of Storage Manager.
Definitely worth considering creating a second array however, if the host OS has some sort of LVM support.
:) jim

Hi,

I have the same problem. annot find an option to resize a logical derive, howeever i have lots of free space in the array. will i need to delete and recreate the array? isnt there a solution to dinamically resize arrays/logical drives on the fly, by adding more disks?

thx,
peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back