Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FastRAD over Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughonea

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2010
US
There is an old closed thread about this, I am hoping someone who has done this can help me troubleshoot.

- I can connect to the FastRAD directly via serial port.
- I have a NetBurner SB72-EX Serial to Ethernet Adapter
- I can connect to the virtual com port (their software) and have successfully tested between two computers using the steps here: - When I try to connect to the FastRad I continually get a RAD did not respond error. I have tried a straight-through and null modem cable

I'd greatly appreciate any troubleshooting advice!

Thanks

Yes it was harsh, sorry!
It is frustration when one is defensive and does not communicate properly.

I have made an error in asking about about putty or hyper....so used to using them both on BCM that I momentarily forgot it's NRU you are needing to work with.

Cheers

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

No problem! We all face that frustration from time to time. I do user support for a living so I am very familiar with communication issues. I appreciate the extraordinary support you provide here--quick to answer and always good information.

Have a great day!

Almost certain the netburner drivers do not support 16bit method of communicating with the serial ports that the Nortel remote utilities is using. Likely only works with 32bit compatible software.

The DigiPort adapters are more likely to work because they have a long legacy of this stuff so their drivers have all the old 16 bit support hooks to grab the serial port data that the NRU uses. You can go to their website today and download Windows 98 and NT 4.0 drivers for the Digi One SP and TS series.

You need a device that was around back in the early 90's or at least is based off something that shared similar driver history going back that far. I used to use the Digi products to deploy old school dumb terminals for IBM unix boxes in the 90's. I remember setting up the ethernet versions for remote branch offices then. I also used them for dos software running under windows XP that communicated with CNC equipment. The digi drivers have no problem with the legacy stuff.

Now my alternative to what you are trying to do is just stick an old PC you can remotely control on the RAD and not worry about tunneling the serial data. Just remote the machine with VNC or remote desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back