Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fastest way to dump Recordset results onto a spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinF

Technical User
Sep 19, 2000
FR
Hi all,

Please can anyone tell me the fastest and most efficient way to dump the entire contents of a recordset (in this case anything from 700 to 60000 rows) into a specified worksheet?

The way i am doing it thus far is:
1. query the db to obtain records
2. loop through each field of each row in the recordset and place the value in the correspnding worksheet cell.
3. re-query for the next set of data
2. loop through as before and place the data onto the next sheet etc.

The problem i am having is that the first recordset loops through nice and fast while inserting the data, however subsequent recordsets loop through painfully slow (like one record per second!) Does anyone know why this is? between each query i disconnect the database and close the recordset.

Thanks

You could try:
Code:
dim mySheet as Excel.Worksheet 
dim rst as dao.recordset
set rst = ...
set mySheet = ...
mysheet.cells (2,1).copyfromrecordset rst

Should be much faster than cell-by-cell assignment.

pjm

Hi,

With just a few mouse-clicks, it is possible return a recordet to Excel, using MS Query, via Data > Import External Data > New Database Query...

I regularly get 'drive by' questions, that can simply be answered with a query, in 2-3 minutes.

Is it the most efficient? Probably not. The more complex the question, might mean that ADO would be a better tool, as pjm suggested above.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

PJM's solution worked a treat..thanks a lot that was excatly what i wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back