Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fastest way to copy data from one server to another 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxster8

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2006
US
Hi All,

Two questions. What is the fastest way to copy 300 GB of data from a Windows 2003 32-bit FP server to a Windows 2008 64-bit FP server? Cross over cable, plug both into a gigabyte switch (other users are on this switch) or....?

Also, I was thinking of using teracopy for the file copy itself. I heard it copies over permissions quite well. My first copy may have to be "live", since it will take a long time. Then I was thinking of completing a final "incremental" copy. Thoughts on my process? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best Regards,
Don

Thanks, Pat. Any thought on using a gigabit switch or crossover or...?

I always use gigabit or faster switches for everything everwhere. So, yes, gigabit switch. I don't use crossovers because that then limits you as to where you can monitor the progress.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back