Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fastest way to clear the background on this girl 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

babytarantula

Technical User
Feb 23, 2006
MX
Hi i try to find the fastest way to take of the grey blackground on this model but i am not sure. Like you can see it was easy to do with the Background eraser tool with the model's skin contrast but it doesn't seem to work with the black on grey because colors looks really the same...

The long way would be with the magic wand and zoom i guess but i am looking for a faster way...

Thanks

1. Make a new layer adjustment, levels.
2. Move the white slider
3. From RIGHT TO LEFT.
4. Create a layer mask on the original image.
5. Press D, use the brush to paint a mask, use X to switch between white and black, to paint in the mask or to remove.
6. Paint out the background and flatten.

imageef9.jpg

That looked OK eugenetyson but it seems a bit lossy.

First I duplicated the layer.

Next I adjusted the curves way to the light side to pull the image out of the dark shadow (it looked like what you see in your step 4), just to see if it was possible.

I'm too busy to continue tonight but next I would try:

A selection of the dark shadows around the hair and her right arm and fill them white like the rest of the background, revealing the complete woman.

Next make a selection of the woman either manually or extract filter, save the selection and delete the woman.

On the dupe layer, apply the selection, inverse it and delete all but the woman.

Adjust the curves a bit to reveal the facial features.

Well yes. You need to remove the Adjustment Layer in the layers panel when you have finished erasing the background. Or you can simply turn it on and off. You can play around with other adjustment layers to bring out the highlights, midtones and shadows.

I wasn't trying to show a definitive way of doing it, just one idea. I'm sure there are loads, and I hope this little one got you on the road to thinking of how else you can achieve this.

I only used the screen grab that you gave me, perhaps that's why it looks lossy?

Sorry I guess we were both simply trying to show there are many ways to do this.

sam

you can also go to channels and see which produces channel gives good edges (contrast). Copy that channel go to levels and make the contrast extreme, to almost black and white. Go back and paint/fill white or black missing spots and select either black or white to keep.
Once you have selection then go back to original file make a mask, fill mask with the selection. With a mask you can go back and brush in or out some details if precision is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back