Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fastest Backup Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2001
US
I am interested in the quickest method to backup data with a Dell 130T w/ 2 tape drives. I have approximately a 6 hour window to conduct differential backups during the week and normal backups on the weekends. With the current setup and the numerous jobs that I have created for about 40 servers, I don't have a lot of time for the addition of new servers into the backup schedule. Has anyone experimented with dual network cards and allowing the second card be a dedicated card for the DLT?

The network card is probably not the bottleneck, it is usually the SCSI backplane.

If time is the problem, why not get a second copy of BE so you are doing 20 servers per backup server?

The latest version, 8.6 of BE is supposed to support directing backup jobs over a specific NIC. Unfortunatly I do not have the budget for this upgrade right now so I can't give you first hand experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back