Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fastest Backup 11C. PCMCIA? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joonaskynstler

Programmer
Dec 12, 2005
EE
We do all programming over modem. We have some old release 11C s that die sometimes (software daughterboard problems) and new releases were we need to keep most recent backup from the system.

At the moment we do XBK over the modem. It is ok but it takes alot of time specialy with newer releases were the file is bigger.

If we would put PCMCIA card in to the every PBX we have we could do BKO on it or Archive the database on PCMCIA.(Really fast)

Has somebody used this method?

One thing that I worry about is that PCMCIA card is directly connected to SSC card and in case of lightning or some voltage drop or jump PCMCIA card could get damaged and I will be left without backup.

Your sugestions?

I do both. I backup using XBK as well as to the PCMCIA card. I would base your decision on how often you make changes on the PBX.

We make changes sometimes 3 or 4 times a week so doing XBK over modem every time takes a lot of time.

Is PCMCIA memory card good place to save data? Maybe somebodys data corrupted on PCMCIA or something?

Looking for experiences with PCMCIA cards and Nortel.

I have three 11's and have been backing up for two years on the PCMCIA Cards with one restore from replacing a SSC. I have been very happy with this method. I just back up with XBK after big changes and once a month.

PCMCIA back up everyday and XBK once a week. At least that way if something did happen to the PCMCIA then it's not a major problem. I just loose a few days of changes, but like tnj said if I do major changes then I XBK then.

For what it is worth
I worked on a network of 3-81C, 2-61C and 17-11C's.
All 11C's had PCMCIA's in place all the time for backup purposes. In 3 years had only 1 PCMCIA go bad. Of course lightening and power surges could occur. I just never had that problem.

My advice is the same comments as above, but to have more than one backup plan. i.e.

1) save to a PCMCIA card on a regular basis

2) save using "XBK" once every other Month

3) obtain listings in a text format every 6 Months.

If you use Procomm Plus, then you can use a program that I've put on a previous thread a few Months ago. It will automatically produce capture files in all of the main overlays.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

Were do you get your PCMCIA cards?

Is there a place were they sell 32 MB cards that fit Nortel?

I use Viking PCMCIA adaptors with 128MB Viking Compact Flash cards.

Does this 128 MB card work in older releases 11C also. What is the oldest you got that is working with that card?

Or do you format it somehow so the 11C accepts the bigger size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back