Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Faster computer runs Foxpro program slower, Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amatureo

Programmer
Aug 5, 2008
US
I've been running a DOS based Foxpro program on my office LAN for years with very few problems. Computers run WinXP ProSP2, Biostar motherboards (m7sua,m7vig/k8m800), AMD CPUs (700-2.0), RAM (SDRAM,DDR,DDR2 512-2G), and config.fp memlimit=50,4096,16384.

My current motherboards are no longer available, so I tried to add a MCP6P, 2.7Mh/2G, XP Pro computer to my network. I can access the network and run my Foxpro program, but it is PAINfully slow (NVidia nForce 10/100 on board Ethernet).

I've made all the same registry tweaks as on my other computers and even tried running with various shortcut compatibility settings (not necessary with my other computers). I've disabled my antivirus and my firewall. I've tried with all computers off except my server and the new one. I've tried adding a different network card in a PCI expansion slot. I've tried with SP2 and SP3. I've built two computers using the MCP6P and two computers with the K8M800 and they all have the same issue. I've changed cat5 cables and reset hubs. I've put the computer in a location where other computers have been fine. I tried a clean install with no other programs loaded except my Foxpro app.

Nothing makes a difference in the speed. It runs, but not fast enough to be practical.

I've been googling the issue and wasting valuable time for days without any success in finding a solution.

Any ideas out there? What am I missing?

I don't think it's a memlimit setting. It appears to be related to the NVIDIA nForce 10/100 ethernet on the motherboard. I removed the driver, Client for MS Networks, File and Printer sharing, and Qos Packet. I disabled the onboard LAN. I shut down and installed an old DLink ethernet card, rebooted, installed Client and F/P Sharing, rebooted, and the lag was gone.

I have 15 MCP6P motherboards that I was going to use in new computers, but I don't want to add an expansion network card on all of them.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing this NVIDIA lag while running a DOS program?

Oops. The Dlink ethernet ended up with the same lag problem once my DOS program mapped the network drive.

The problem is evidently a mapped network drive issue. Now the question is why the MCP6P mb has a problem which my MSUA and M7VIG mbs don't.

I personally haven't had issues like that with mapped drives, but then they've always been mapped prior to running an app rather than having the app map a drive.
Maybe it makes a difference?

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

SOLVED: The mapped drive is the problem. If the mapped drive is 'reconnected' on startup, the computer network slows down considerably. I had to disconnect the mapping, remap it with 'reconnect on logon' disabled, then let my DOS program map the drive on subsequent reboots.

I don't know what has changed to cause it to work this way, since I've used 'reconnect on logon' for years. I do know that I've finally recovered my network speed by eliminating it.

I had such problem, that if I use DIR command from FPW26.a and RUN /n xxxxxxxxxxx in the same prg-code the first command is slower and do not write all filles.

I solved it that I write e.g. Wait Window " 7 second " Time 7 and then It works, it means I create a PAUSE for 7 seconds and the first command has enough time for ending of writing all files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back