Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Faster Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

jciarlette

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
US
I have a file server with 9,282 small files. The total backup size is 389GB. It takes around 22 hrs. I have 3 LTO-2 drives and HP DL380-G4 server with 4GB ram. All are attached via fiber channel. What can I do to try to speed up the backup?

where exactly can I find this option? Where is the preferences located? I looked in Networker Administrator and could not find it.

Server network interface" is a hidden attribute for the client resource. Of course there is no preference.

I am running NW 7.2. If I bring up the Networker Administrator under Windows and Edit the client and go to the Preferences tab (Yes, there is a preferences), there is a Server Network Interface. This must be set properly to use the network that you want to use. My Networker server is rs6kpsd5 (100Mb) and a Windows client is stpi06(100Mb). Both have a Gb interface. If I set the stpi06 client up for rs6kpsd5, then it will use the 100Mb interface. If I change the Server Network Interface field for stpi06 to rs6kpsd5s (1000Mb), then it will use the Gb interface.

Also, this particular client (stpi06) has about 3 million files in one volume (250 GB). It backs up over the Gb interface in about 8-12 hours. So, if you have 9 million files, you could expect ~24-36 hours, if you are getting rates like we are. This is during a production day, so there are users getting to the files while we are backing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back