Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FastConnect shows files as hidden

Status
Not open for further replies.

bard9

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2001
US
I have installed FastConnect on a server running AIX 4.33.
My clients are running Windows 2000. Previously we used AIX Connections.

All went well with the install and the subsequent client connections with the exceptions of one inconvenience. Many files on my FastConnect shares are dispalyed in Windows as hidden or system files. Subsequently, users can not see these files unless they change their "folder options".

These files seem to have no pattern. AIX permissions can be wide open and they will still appear as hidden. File extensions also do not seem to have a bearing as files such as Access with an .mdb extension appear as hidden on the FastConnect share do not appear hidden when copied to the local PC.

Users still have their full access rights to these files, they just appear as hidden. These files appeared normally with AIX Connections.

This is my first installation so I am quite sure I have something set wrong, but I can't find anything in the user's guide on this one.

I have set authentication to "negotiate" and enabled "multi-user". All other settings are default. I added my users through the FastConnect menu and am not currently using LDAP or any other password database.

Has anyone run into this?

I have found the pattern. It seems that any file with wide open permissions in AIX (777) are hidden by FastConnect.

Is this a feature? I do see what benefits it may offer.

Is there any way to bypass this if I am asked to do so?

I have seen this on other systems (for example, Sun) using Samba (which is what FastConnect is for the most part). I'm not sure, but I think the problem stems from how the users log on to the Unix system vs. what their LAN or Windows logon is.

If I remember correctly, once we started having the users click the "Connect using different user name" option when mapping the drive to their Windows desktop and selecting the Unix login name and entering the Unix password, the problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back