Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fast system recovery 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mewa

Technical User
Jul 27, 2001
DE
Hi,
I was asked to compare the possibility of fast system recovery of HP unix and Sun solaris. I have some knowledge on HPUX, but I'm absolutely new to Solaris.
In HP there is a product called Ignite which allows to boot a system in case of a complete disaster from an earlier prepared tape or network site. Is there anything similar to that in SUN environment? What product?

Thanks for tips.

mewa

Hi

I've used Solaris 6,7 & 8 and I use ufsdump and ufsrestore for the normal ufs type filesystem.

When a disk failure occur, u have to boot from the CD and restore filesystem by filesystem. Its pretty tedious but it works. I'm not aware of any tools similar to Ignite-UX for Solaris. Maybe someone can me know.

Solaris has fssnap facility to take a "snapshot" of your filesystem. Have a look on docs.sun.com for info and see if this is any help to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back