Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fast/Slow/Fast/Slowwww

Status
Not open for further replies.

FS

Technical User
Oct 5, 2001
GB
I have a machine that works really fast the one day then slow the next day then just fast then really slow. Applications work super fast the one day then medium speed and today really slow. I do defrag my HDD regularly. I also end up formatting every 2 months or so which is becoming a pain. I don’t install programmes any much more than anyone ells. I don’t know if I should do a reinstall over the operating system? I use Norton’s to take care of the tune up of my system.
I also have a strange scenario when I boot up. Every now and again just before windows boots I get the message "Please wait while windows updates your configuration files.....windows has finished updating configuration files continuing to load windows." Now I get this message often. Sometimes it does not happen. I have not installed anything but get this message %-(
I have tried using a boot log analizer but it makes no sense.
What to do??

Doesn't sound like it's hardware related unless the room is boiling hot one day, then freezing cold the next... What O/S are you running? Have you checked for viruses? Do you have a virus scanner running? Maybe it's running a full scan every other day? I take you're running Norton Utilities or similar - try uninstalling it - the fewer progs you have running at any one time, the better your system will run.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

You may also try shutting down some items that may load at Startup. Here is an excellent resource to help you decide.

Cougargif.GIF
email Cougar_01@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back