Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fast Rad

Status
Not open for further replies.

cilcomm

Technical User
Feb 15, 2003
US
I need help with a fastRad and remote utilities!
I ahve searched this site for help using a fastrad and have been able to default a Fastrad and program the password and access the Rad admin tables in the system but I cannot get the darn thing to connect to a laptop running the lastest Norstar remote utilities? I keep gettin the response: RAD did not respond, Can anyone help?
The password i prgrammed through RAD programming was 123456789, I set the baud rate to 9600 and I set the connction table in remote utilities to direct, 9600, com1 and password `123456789. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
CILCOMM

"RAD did not respond" is the error you get when the Remote Utilities can't see RAD. Are you using a straight through serial cable sense laptop is a DTE and the RAD is a DCE? Make sure to check NRU settings, com port, etc. Other than that, try connecting with the remote set - it will get you into R1T1 software.

Mike Science

Mikes reply is valid. also the password seem wrong to me. I thought on the new rad you had to use onnly an 8 digit password, and the old rad it was 10 digit. You may want to bring your password down to 8 #'s
Tony
norstartech

Chris,
Set baud rate to 19200. Use straight through cable/change cable, if possible prove on a second fastrad. There is an upgrade patch out there for fastrads. Havn't used it myself - yet. If all else fails, go back to earlier verison of NRU and prove. Rls 6 is SO different from all recent Rls levels that we techs may end up with three sets of rad access software.

Good Luck
PhM

This may sound elementery, however on my laptop the com port is com2 and internal modem com1. Make sure you aren't using a modem and just a straight through.

I have tried using an eight digit password before and still got the same reply. The manual even says that an eight to ten digit password is acceptable. I have checked the cable and even tried a different cable to make sure it was not faulty. I have tried changing the baud rate to 19200. I do not have another fastrad to test with right now but I am getting this narrowed down to a faulty rad or a software bug. I have noticed that the LED on the rad case is blinking occasionally when i try to acces it, even though i get the relply "Rad not responding".
thanks for all the replies. When i get a chance again, I will retry them all again.

this may be another elementary question is do you give the rad enough time to set-up before you getting data out. I had a similar problem to yours with my laptop and carry around RAD. it ended up being that I was expecting to connect up too quickly after turning on or connecting the rad to the DN port. give it a few mins to sync up.

also I would take a breakout box and look for data activity on the TD and RD pins this would tell you if you are sending data to the rad and if the rad is responding. JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Here is the 3rd round witht his thing.
I have tried resetting the RAD by software debug, and by shorting the cap. After reprogramming to a valid 8 digit password and had no luck. I tried letting the RAD boot up for 20 minutes and when trying to access via the RAD, i let it try to connect for up to 15 minutes, no luck. The FastRad is Ver 6 and the HRU software is Version 9.0. Is there a known bug with this

thanks for the posts thus far

PS
the CICS ksu is running 4.1 software
FastRad Ver 6
NRU Ver 9.0

cilcom,
try using a 10 digit password with the Fastrad. 8 digit is for old Rad.

PhM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back