Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FAS2020 and DS14MK4 - Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron333

Technical User
Jun 8, 2011
US
Hi,
I've just added a DS14Mk4 to my production FAS2020. As we're a very small company, it's my only filer. It's running in Active/Active with 1 aggregate on each controller. I'm torn between two approaches:

1. Simply adding new disks to each of the aggregates
2. Creating a single aggregate on the DS14, moving the volumes from one of the controllers then expanding the aggregate on the 2020 to include all its' disks. So, what I'd end up with is Controller #1 owning all the internal disks and Controller #2 using the external (shelf) disks.

Now, I've tested the move in the simulator and it seems pretty straightforward. However, it does require a fairly significant downtime for some of my servers. The volume move seems like the right approach, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with this situation.

Thanks,
Aaron

nopes, right approach. Just use snapmirror to move volumes, so you keep your snapshots as well.Target volume will have to be just a little bigger in size for snapmirror. It will mean downtime for all your servers indeed, but you should be able to do all the work in 1 big cutover,did it several times before for our customers

rgds

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

Thanks. That confirms what I thought, but as I'm a one-man-shop here I like to get a second opinion.

Unfortunately, we're not licensed for snapmirror but I can just use "vol copy -S" and that copies the snapshots too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back