Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Farewell, Dr. Dobbs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBones

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
The sad news from Dr Dobb's Journal is that it is being closed at the end of this year or, more accurately, "Sunset". I don't think I ever visited their site, but I was a long time subscriber to the magazine back in the days when I was first learning my craft. Every issue was gold, giving me some new technique, or approach, or information to broaden my knowledge and skills. Hearing that they are ending is like hearing that an old teacher of mine is finally retiring. I have nothing but good memories of the magazine.

[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/farewell-dr-dobbs/240169421[/url]

Sadly, I thought they were "gone" a long time ago. I used to read "C/C++ User Journal" but they merged with Dr. Dobbs. I don't think I read much of Dr. Dobb after that.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Cannot remember what I got the Dr Dobb's Journal for many years ago, however, I remember it was very helpful. Jobs changed and I got away from it and did not go back.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

I remember the early issues (on cheap paper), no advertisements. Definitely a magazine for the hobbyist. I lost track of them several years ago.

The site still popped up in searches now and then (and the shelved site still will).

I think the real story here is how advertising just doesn't cut it anymore when it comes to sustaining web sites. The rate per click (or whatever) must have dropped and dropped over time to a point where without a tonnage of viewers it only pays peanuts. If so then only the mass market fluff sites and fake news (press release) sites like ZDNet where ads are only supplemental income will survive.

D & D here would probably understand the economics of it all far better than I do though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back