Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fancy Footwork Needed With Install of 2nd Win 2000 Hard Drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

canguro

Programmer
Sep 15, 2002
US
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help straighten me out on the right direction to take on my problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Currently, I have the following setup:
1. 40 GB drive ('C'), with Win 2000 installed. It has
one partition dedicated to the entire HD, with File
Type NTFS. (This may be regrettable, but when I
installed W2K I was rather green.)
2. CD-ROM assigned to drive 'D'.

This is the setup I would like to have:
1. Mount new hard drive (80 GB) assigned to drive 'C',
with Win 2000 installed and booting from it. Data
from old HD 'C' copied to new 'C'.
2. Old HD reformatted and then re-partitioned into (?) 2
partitions, so I can use one for Linux OS and other
for overflow Windows storage.
3. Shove CD-ROM down to 'F' (or 'G'?).

If I don't have "Ghost" or "Drive Image" is there still a way to do the above? Could I use the Disk Management features in W2K to handle this?

If you can make some suggestions I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks in advance,

Josef

I think your best bet would be to unplug your old hard drive, install your new hard drive as the sole drive and install Windows 2000 on it. After getting that set up, re-install your old hard drive as the secondary drive and copy any data from that to your new hard drive. Then you could fdisk and format the secondary drive as you see fit.

Few questions.
Do you mean you want to transfer existing win2k installation to new drive as is? Or are you intending installing a new win2k installation & reinstalling apps on the new drive?

Is there a reason why you are not keeping current drive as master and use the new drive as slave (partitioning it). This would be less work.

If you keep the current installation and just add new drive as slave, you can easily change CD drive letter using disk management (and create new partition on new drive, assigning what letters you want).

If you install a new win2k, then copy stuff off existing drive and then repartition it, again you can use disk management to assign any drive letters you want. One thing if you do this - disconnect existing drive while you install 2k on new (or 2k will end up on E:).

If you want to 'move' the 2k installation from old to new drive - most drive manufacturers have a utility (on their website if not provided with drive) which will do this for you. Again, once transferred, you can use disk management to order your partitions/drive letters.

HTH

Dillinger99 and wolluf,

Many, many thanks for your ideas and suggestions! They shed a lot of light on my problem and will be useful ammunition in my process of considering how I can best resolve it.

I will be 'attacking' the install this weekend. I have never done this sort of thing before but I expect the going to be a lot easier now that I see the options you have pointed out to me .........

Again, many thanks!

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back