Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FAN on HIGH @ BOOTUP, No display

Status
Not open for further replies.

tngreg

Technical User
Apr 1, 2006
US
Hello,
Lenovo
When booting only the CPU fans kicks into high and no display ever comes up.

Any clues??

Greg

Could be bad video card, bad ram, bad processor. Fans usually run on high till a system loads then calm back down.

If you have more than one stick of ram, take them all out but one and just try one at a time. If you have an extra video card , try it. Just things of that nature

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Does the fan stay high?
We have Lenovo machines & the fans kick in high for a few seconds then die down again, as do our IBM servers. Normal operation for these machines.
As electronicsfreak says, it could be bad ram etc, but the first thing I would be looking at is the video card. Also, on some mobo's if the CMOS battery dies it can cause this effect.

Try another monitor & cable to eliminate those components. Video issues like these are buggers, but since yours is onboard it's actually easier to troubleshoot. Check for bent pins on the D-SUB cable. If you can get your hand on a GFX card plug it in, also changing RAM and slots if possible, CPU last. Do these changes ONE AT A TIME.

Sometimes just double-checking all power and system connectors and reseating them along with a good cleaning helps. Best of luck.

Tony

Great tips! I'm going to try these today!
Thanks and i'll post the outcome..

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back