Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

False registration re-appearing?!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomik

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2001
NL
Hello,

I' ve got a weird problem with my DNS environment.
I have a Win2K server with DNS. The ip address is 192.168.40.2.

When I just started the DNS, There is an A record for this server in it's own DNS databse for the internal as well as the external interface (connected via DSL to our ISP). So far so good.

The problem is that after a while, the entry for the external interface disappears and another entry for this same server turns up in the database, but with a different, non-existing ip address. (192.168.40.102)

At that point, clients get connectivity problems, are not able to load their roaming profiles, connect to the exchange server (Also on the same server) etc. etc. I really can't figure out where this registration is coming from.

Anyone got a clue??

Thanks in advance,

Remco van Zeist
The Netherlands

Maybe this is what happen but i doubt it:). Your server getting it's ip address from a DHCP server because it's ip address is not static.

Sorry, but that's not the case. Both adapters, internal and external have static ip addresses assigned.
And even then, I am using only 192.168.40.2 and 192.168.40.3 for the DC's. The DHCP scope ranges from 192.168.40.50 till 192.168.40.99. So where the heck is host x.x.x.102 coming from????
I hope it is a leftover from a previous install. I am trying to fix things up that someone else screwed up ;-)
Tomorrow night I am going to deinstall firewall software and RRAS and everything else that isn't directly needed. Maybe that will sort things out...

..and ofcourse after cleaning up I will reinstall the firewall software ;-)

Have you tried putting in the external interface IP as a "static" DNS entry so it can't be over-ridden or scavenged?

I haven't tried that yet. What I did do is add the non-existing ip, as a secondary address to the internal interface. I know this doesn't solve tha problem but so far it's a usable workaround. I still can't figure out why an ip address, not in use on the network is being registered in DNS...

Since you are trying to clean up an "inherited" mess, is it possible there is another DNS server out there in your organization that is doing the updating to your AD DNS?

Is your current DNS server listed as SOA for the Zone in question?

"Organization" is a big word for an environment with 20 desktops and two servers
There is no second DNS server active. Winroute had DNS forwarding enabled but I already disabled that since there is a Win2k AD DNS server running.
This server is indeed listed as SOA.
All stuff is configured on the same server.
This server is acting as DC and as a DNS/DHCP/Firewall/VPN/OWA/SQL2000/Exchange/backup server...

...are there any more server products to run???? ;-)

I will take an extra look at it when i come in on monday.

Are the two nics set up with reserved ip's in dhcp?

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

The NIC's are both statically addressed.
The ip address of the interna NIC is 192.168.40.2 which falls outside the scope of the DHCP server, which is 192.168.40.50-192.168.40.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back