Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

false postives monitoring cron

Status
Not open for further replies.

myonker

MIS
Feb 10, 2003
US
Has anyone seen this before? As part of our "default monitoring" we monitor the /usr/sbin/cron process via the system agent. I've been having an issue on a few servers where it throws an alarm stating that cron has stopped when in fact it hasn't. this tends to happen about 5-10 times a day. these servers are running either Sol8 or 9. Any thoughts as to why this might be happening and/or how to fix it?

Could it be the "maximum number of instances" threshold that is alerting rather than the minimum?

This has been the cause for us in the past - forgetting to turn the maximum threshold off or raise it to a value higher than 1.

I have seen this before. The process part of the system agent reports failures even though the process works fine. Last time I saw it was on a Solaris machine with heavy load. Monitoring processes with the Unix System agent has always been a problem with the CA agent and I cannot say I trust this agent to tell me the truth about my processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back