Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

False Domains / Workgroups showing in Network Neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeg13g

Technical User
Feb 1, 2002
US
Hi,

slight problem with NT4 server. There are 2 domains on 2 sites. Domain A and Domain B. Both have a trust relationship.

Problem is that in Domain A, additional domain/workgroups are showing, as ""X"user id". But these extra domain/workgroups dont appear in Domain B. They've basically appeared out of the blue!

When I visited the pc's they look fine, but as safe measure, I removed them from the domain, deleted the computer account and re-joined the pc's to the domain B.

But they are still showing in Domain A as before.

Services running on the pc's:
Computer Browser
Netbios
Novell client for Windows NT
RPC configuration
Server
Workstation

TCP/ip and ipx/spx running, using DHCP /DNS.

Theres nothing complicated running on these 2 NT 4 workstations, just standard NT 4 build with standard applications.

Any ideas???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
G
IT Service Desk

Is it possible that a user has configured their laptop to join their home domain and it is reporting that?

Iain

Spirit,

Nope, they are desktop pc's on the LAN and they only join the one domain.

G

Check your WINS database for entries for the machines in question. Probably the first time they booted up they weren't in the domain and created their own work groups.

Compare the entries to another machine to see if there are extras for the ones showing up as workgroups.

They should go away eventually but there is a command line utility on the resource disk you can use to manually delete WINS entries if you want. I forget the name right now....

Thanks, it was the wins db across the 2 sites. once removed and scavenged the database. They rogue domain had gone.
Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back