Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

False 911 call coming from a ACS 4.0 w/messaging 7.0 ?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

52rich

Vendor
Aug 14, 2011
US
OK..This one has got me stumped so I have to ask.
I have a ACS 4.0 308EC, 400 board and a partner messaging 7.0 with a 6 port card.
Having said that, here is the question. Is there any way, even off the wall way, that the system could be calling 911 direct to the local police randomly.
Dial tone is provided by Comcast/cable modem. Calls are made to 911 at sometimes different times of day but mostly after midnight. Started with only one line but now seems to be from any of the 8 lines per the caller ID police report. Most of the time the building is empty.
What I have done so far.
Eliminated the alarm panel, disconnected both circuits[ pri & backup] for 5 days, 911 calls still came into the police.
The modem that the dial tone comes from is in a secure closet. The Fax machine line does not go in to the ACS[ stand alone]
I removed the speed dial allowed list default position 01 that dials allowed 911 calls even though NONE of the extensions are restricted. I checked every set to be sure that someone had programed a speed dial button to dial 911 and possibly a button would stick at times. I have restricted the last 2 ports in the messaging Px 36 & 37 in # 401 for inside only [2]
At this point I'm sure that the problem is with Comcast although they will not admit it. Could someone be trying to hack Comcast circuits and that would cause a false 911 call to be made.
Any help or suggestions from anyone out there!!!!

It Sounds like you have an active or Left-in Burglar Alarm bridge-tapped to one of your land lines.You need to find the MPOE & RJ2 block and look for the alarm connection.

You may also want to check for a miss-programmed Outcalling number.

I have restricted the last 2 ports in the messaging Px 36 & 37 in # 401 for inside only [2]

I was going to suggest that you pull the configuration report via the serial port and search for outcalling numbers, but you seem to have that covered

WikiTech. Thanks for the reply but since we disconnected both circuits that the alarm panel uses [for 5 days] and a false call still was made to the police, we had to rule out the thought that the alarm panel was the trouble maker. Besides the
fact that the only way the alarm panel would call 911 direct, and not the alarm companies Central Answer Service, is if a person was in the building and pushed the 911 panic button on the wall mounted key pad by the front door.
Also I just found out that the only numbers that the Police have on caller ID records is line 4,5 & 6. None of the other lines have ever called 911.
Outcalling is not turned on for any of the stations.

NOW HERE IS A REAL HEADSCRATCHER!!!! I just called the office and had the office manager go to extension 10 while I was on the phone with her, and had her recheck both my outcalling ports ext 36 & 37 in #401 to be sure that they were still a [2] inside only restriction which they were. I also had her do a backup #124 for safety sake and low & behold 5 min later the Police showed up at the door responding to a false 911 call [5 min ago] from one of the 3 bad guy numbers which we were not using as I had her on the phone checking for me.
Was this TRULY JUST A COINCIDENCE OR WHAT??
I'm thinking that on a temporary basis, I'm going to move lines 4,5 & 6 to different positions in the system to see if the trouble follows the bad guy numbers to rule out any software glitch. I just want to be absolutely sure that the ACS system is not the trouble maker and blame Comcast. This is my sons office that this is happening so this one is personal.
Any further ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Update...Since a false call was made right after or during my working with the office manager at ext 10 I have had her disconnect the tel set from the wall jack just to wait & see if the calls stop. Since ext 10 is in a conference room they can do without it for a few days. I still can't imagine that a 18D set can make a call on it's own. I'm ready for the rubber room on this one. My gut still says Comcast is the bad guy BUT???

If you have 8 pin jacks for the phones to plug into, check to see if a computer is mistakenly plugged into an unused (but hot) jack.

I have seen for myself where this was done and calls placed on Hold were mysteriously dropping.

In my case there was an unused computer plugged into the 8 pin TELEPHONE jack at an unused desk.

There is no way to determine what type of signal/data was coming from the computer but it was actually selecting the line on Hold and dropping it.

So, as a long shot, see if this condition exists at your customers site.

Rich, this is a diktwister. I'm convinced it's outside the switch. Back in the AT&T days we would get "Floaters" on land lines. Land line facilities would multiple at several Bldg. terminals or Tel. Poles. If a circuit was not disconnected at the old location it would be hot when reassigned at a new location. In your case, Comcast would need to check any multiple locations for left-in floaters.
Since the PD has furnished you with the 3 caller I.D. originating numbers, check at the RJ2 block that those 3 lines are only going to the switch. Any other jumper on those lines is suspect. A client I visited today has their alarm terminated on the tip & ring of one of the Partner Extensions in a dettached bldg. Granted, the alarm will follow the auto line select of that station.
Now that you know the tel.numbers dialing the PD, do a test by unplugging the three lines from the switch and calling each line individually to see if it answers. If there is a modem somewhere you may need to let it ring at lease 15 times b4 it will answer.

Rich, after you make test calls to the 3 suspect lines, if in the event you only get ring no answer - and no posistive results, I would hook a printer up to the SMDR port and eliminate the ACS 100%. This would then become Comcasts diktwister.

OK. New update as of this morning. First I spoke to a dispatcher at the Police Emergency Center that has actually seen these calls while on duty and after questioning her she told me that when a call comes in, that it only rings once and then immediately hangs up, so that they do not even see all of the caller ID info, or even able to answer the call, Just the telephone numbers and that's it.
As it turns out, the Comcast tech had to come back today and he went over to the old RJ21x demarcation block from the old Verizon copper wire service and low & behold the circuits were still live at the block. This service was ported over to Comcast about 14 months ago and Verizon still has them hot in the old copper condition. So a Verizon tech is scheduled to be onsite tomorrow and I have left instructions with the front desk not to give him the keys to the Demarc room until he calls me. I want to be sure that he disconnects everything from the CO programming and out to the building . As WIkiTech alluded to, the circuits are working at multiple locations in town and someone has connected something to those 3 circuits,.Gotta love it !!
Unfortunately I'm 4 1/2 drive one way to the customer, so I have to depend on others to be my eyes.
I will post the final results as soon as I'm sure that all is fixed.
Thanks again for your time.
Rich

UPDATE as of 2:30. Verizon shows up and tells the front desk that he found the lines were still working in the old copper condition, When he first arrived onsite I asked him to please call me back when he was finished and let me know the progress he was making to remove all circuits from their CO out to the facilities. He ran out the door and never called me back. And they wonder why they are losing business left & right. Hopefully problem solved. Time will tell.
I just wanted to share this problem with anyone who may come across a trouble like this in the future.
Thanks to all!
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back