Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fallback solution for primary domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cois

MIS
May 10, 2000
DE
Hi,
We have a primary domain (V6.5) with an GWIA for InternetMails and several secondary domains (V5.5/6.0) in different locations. All outbound mails are routed to the primary domain to be sent out from there. All incoming mails are accepted at this primary domain and distributed to the secondaries.
What i want to know is:
Is there a possibility to set up the system in a way that if the primary domain is down one of the secondary domains takes over the functions of the primary of sending and receiving internet mails.

All communication is made by the MTAs. The specified secondary domain has an registered domain name and is set up in the DNS as the secondary mail server. It works in that way that if the primary domain is not reachable all incoming internet mails are accepted by the secondary and stored until the primary is available again. But the other secondary domains neither sent out their mails to the "replacement" domain nor get their mails from it but wait until the primary is available again.

To be short: How i can set up beside the preferred GWIA a second one and how do i configure the system to use the "replacement" domain if the primary domain is not available.

Thanks in advance

This is not a function built into GroupWise 6.5, and I doubt anyone will develop one because using a cluster will do what you want.

In a cluster enviroment, when the server running the primary domain goes down, the service will failover to another server in the cluster.

Cluster hardware is expencive, so you may just want to do a poor mans cluster (a two node cluster license comes with Netware 6). You only need a single SCSI drive and two SCSI cards to do the poor mans cluster. You will want to store your doamin directories on this shared drive.

See the netware 6 forus for more info on a cluster.

I had the hope that there is way to set it up with two totally separated locations to ensure maximum availability.

Good to know that I am not too blind to find it out.

Thank you for your answer.

Not for outgoing, but for incoming mail you can just set a lesser-priority MX pointing to your secondary GWIA.

If a domain server is actually down, then that domain's users won't get mail but everyone else should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back