Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fake tape full

Status
Not open for further replies.

damondevil

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2006
IT
NW 7.2 doesn't fill data into tape jukebox because i have many tape marked "Full" with few MBs.
Is there any method to use all available space on the tape ?

Thanks in advance.

If tapes are showing as full prematurely, there is a problem.
Look in your daemon.log for unknown errors (If Windows) or SCSI / sense key errors.

I read
written = 16 MB
Used = full

this tape is lto2 with 200/400 GB of space.

Note: i have made several test, for ex. creade savegroup,backup, delete savegroup, create new savegroup,backup etc etc etc.

Thanks.

Check your daemon.log, search messages like "Networker media: (warning)"; when you see a "tape full" sequence, verify the system log at this time.
The reason the tape is prematurely full is that if Networker get a tape I/O error (or scsi resets), he prefers stop using the tape.

the last line in the daemon.log is:
07/03/06 15:23:30 nsrd: media event cleared: Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'MY pool' tape(s) on mir

I have a powervalult 132t with 21 tape lto2, operating system windows 2003, legato NW 7.2
When i started the first backup each tape have 200+-GB written, after i have relabeled all tape and restarted all backup, but some tape have only a few MB/GB written, and i don't understand why !!!

Carlo

Check your windows system event log, look for errors.
I had the same problem, the cause was SCSI bus resets; it can be defective cables, or bad drive (check clean interval). Test your tape configuration with tapeexercise utility.

ok speculos, but before this i haven't this problem, and the cables/controlles was the same.
In the system event i didn't see anything about i/o error

Simply use the tapeexer(cise) command on this media and check the result.

there aren't error with tapeexer

E:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin>tapeexer.exe \\.\\Tape0
BasicTest: test begin
BasicTest: test ok
EotTest: test begin
EotTest: test ok
FsfTest: test begin
FsfTest: test ok
ScopositionTest: test begin
ScopositionTest: test ok

Report Summary:
Basic Test: passed
EOT Test: passed
FSF Test: passed
SCO Test: passed

OK, there are no errors with one tape, but all your tapes are't marked full prematurely; it's not easy to find the origin of the problem with only one tape!
You have to search what's happening when a tape is marked full: I/O error, Scsi bus reset, CPU busy, memory swap, ...
I suggest you to use Perfmon during all night.
If you don't find any software cause, call your hardware vendor

So there seems to be no obvious problem.

What i would do now is to label the tapeexer tape again and reuse it. But keep in mind: with the standard parameters, the program only writes a short part at the beginning - it does not use the whole tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back