Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fails win XP install with BSOD 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

phathag

Technical User
Aug 29, 2003
AU
specs:
abit nf7-s
2500+XP
Maxtor 120GB SATA
2*256MB geil 3200 ram
radeon 9200se

problem:
just bought these new components and built system and went to install win xp home. I can't get it to fully install, it always comes up with:

"the file (insert numerous install files eg samsrv.dll) was not copied correctly.
the file setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid windows xp system image. if you are installing from a CD, there may be a problem with the CD. To retry press enter... etc... "

so i usually press enter and it continues, sometimes you can see it copying files like it should then comes up again with another file not being valid. this can repeat multiple times until it finally comes up with:

"a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
if this is first time.... stop screen error ..... etc... "

i got no idea why it will (maybe randomly) copy/install some files but not others, then always come up with the BSOD.

what i done to try to fix it (and failed):
now the win xp cd is brand new but i tried a known working win xp pro cd a friend had but it had the same issues. (will try my old win98 disc when i can find it but i doubt it would help since the friends cd never worked either!)
i have formatted in both ntfs and fat32 both quick and full formats many times to no avail!
got a new psu as was suggested it could be the issue, same thing happens so its not the psu.

now i haven't changed the bios settings or anything so everything is running stock standard. will go home today and try an old hdd (PATA) instead of the new one to eliminate that from the equation so all it leaves is the ram (which i will try 1 at a time instead of dual channel), the graphics card (which i can change for my old geforce 1 to see if it works) the mobo and cpu, which i have no known way of testing.

is there any way i can test these components for errors (especially the ram) that i can get working from a boot disc?

any ideas on what i could/should do would be appriciated.

L8r.
one very frustrated Phat Hag.

First of all BEFORE you format your harddrive set the drive handling in BIOS at LBA - do not allow automatic choice.

Secondly , borrow another DVD/CD-Drive of different make and model - I have seen the odd case of some drives that has got weird problems with some boards.

Thirdly , often such problem is due to a defective case-memory , try "killing"/Disableing case-memory in BIOS.

Regards

There is a good dedicated web page on NF7-S here:

And there is the abit nforce forums:

And as a last note:
The Scilicon Image SiL3112 SATA contoller
produce data corruption on BIOS versions from 1.4
and down to 1.0 .
So install the latest bios .

The corruption issue has been fixed by setting some before hidden registers of the southbridge that can now be changed through the option "EXT-P2P's Discard Time".
Abit suggests 30 us value for this option.

And one more thing:
The board undevolts the cpu .
Manually set the vcore to 1,7V to give the cpu 1,65v.

SYAR

I just fixed one of these issues yesterday. Firstly, what is the SPECIFIC Stop error and what stop code does it give you ie. 0x00000050, ox00000000, ....
I found that a NEW Ram stick was faulty, had the EU remove one, still didnt work right so he swapped it and with only the other in it did complete the load and is running fine (the Eu just needs to try to get BestBuy to replace the DIMM

Paulies

Sorry the the first link came out bad.

use copy & paste
[ignore][/ignore]

And Goldenchild and Franklin i might just
add a thing about this mb as i have the same board.
It's a little tricky to set all the 30 page bios
options right on it.(having all on default doesn't
always do the trick)

So
1'st step is to go thoroughly through BIOS first.
2'nd step test with memtest86 and/or windiag .
If this is okay .
Proceed with win install .

Definately try your ram sticks one at a time.
Just check CPU temp in the bios (just in case the heatsink isn't sat correctly on the core) unlikely I know! should be below 55C.
Set bios to default low performing options, FSB should be 166 (333fsb)
Run initially with bare minimum connected (take out all unecessary cards etc)
Try updated SATA drivers on install, again unlikely but you never know.

Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

will be trying another hdd when i go home. while i am at it i will try an old cd-rom drive too thanks... forgot about that...
its a new combo drive too, not had much experience with them yet.

gonna try the memtest thing too. sounds great. let ya know if it helps.

Actually - when I saw SYAR2003's answer regarding the Controller BIOS update in connection with datacorruption I immediately thought SYAR2003 to be on the right track as this deals with "datacorruption" .

But all the other's recommendation with respect to RAM and likewise my own should be tried if SYAR2003's suggestion do not help.... (what I think it will) - I could not imagine that anyone could be so stupid as to issue BIOS with a general datacorruption error built in !
Don't they test their own darn products ???
Regards

phathag !
Feel free to post questions about the recommended bios settings.
I've had BSOD on windows-xp install myself with this mb.
And NONE of the components were faulty.

syar

Yay, we have a winner! Looks like one of the ram modules was faulty after all that.

can't beleive i never tried 1 ram stick at a time before. tsk tsk. thanks paulies and paparazi and goldenchild for reminding me. thanks to svar2003 for the link on infomation on the motherboard thats got heaps of information and also to franklin for the memtest program, that'll come in handy.

thanks again, can't beleive how quick you all answered and how fast the problem was solved when i had a better understanding for what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back