Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failing Memory Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSVTECH

MIS
Oct 16, 2011
US
I have an Inspiron 1150 Laptop that locks up after a few minutes. Must power off/on to restart.

When running a Dell memory test it immediately fails with the following error:

"Unable to locate APIC Tables in ACPI Structures"

I've replaced the memory and reset the BIOS. I suspect a problem with the Motherboard. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Unless someone else has a simple/cheap fix:

It's too old to be under warranty and it's not worth enough to replace the MOBO. Time to say goodbye to Mr. 1150. Sell on Ebay or C.L. for parts after removing the hard drive.

Well, goombawaho I appreciate your thoughts and I have considered this but there is still a market for lower priced laptops. I sell them on CL and by word of mouth quite often and do make a profit. As a Dell Certified Technician I enjoy repairing these and donate them as well.

This is one of those rare problems I've not run into and am still hopeful someone can explain this error. More than likely I'll purchased a used MB and get it up and running.

Did this have 2 RAM sticks in it or just one? Did you try both slots as one could be bad? Have you tried power cycling the laptop? What does MemTest say?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Power cycle by removing the battery and external power source and then press and hold the power button for - I dunno, 30 seconds or so. Some say a minute. The replace the battery and external power (if you need it) and power up and repeat the memory test.

DrB0b, I've tried 2 sticks, 1 stick in each slot. MemTest locked up at about 10%.

For the other suggestions, I am a Dell Certified Tech so I've tried all those. Fixing it is not as important as understanding what the error means. I'm planning on replacing the MB. Thanks to all.

A google search doesn't show up much in the way of a meaningful answer, so that's why I didn't have one.

That's not your everyday error!!

I agree goombawaho, my searches came up with nothing much. Oh well.

Odds are greatly in favor of a mobo as the culprit since you've tried alternate sticks of RAM, reset and updated BIOS to no avail.

Just curious, have you tried another Processor?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

I have considered replacing the CPU. I'll see if I have another one. Thanks for the suggestion, DrB0b.

Yes, tlscousin, I did update the BIOS. No change.

Gee, I can't just pull a processor out of my........... hat. I guess other people have them laying around - AMD/Intel, laptop/ desktop.

I should be so lucky. Ok, I've got one Celeron 2.66GHz stashed.

I didn't have the exact CPU available, an older one but I did get the same results. Off to order a replacement motherboard. Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back