Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed to verify chunk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfokker

MIS
Aug 27, 2007
US
I have a issue every so often when backups that are running from client to disk. I recieve the error in the log "Failed to copy or verify chunk in media for storage policy copy backup. Failed to send the start data transfer control message to the tail." I did a little research and on Dell's site recommended running correctAuxCopyStartOffset.exe vs the storage policies/aux copies I have the problem with. Has anyone run this utility before and are there any things I should be aware of while running it?

I have not run it ...but I get the same error once in awhile
Let us know how it turns out if you do run it

If you only see the error occassionally, let it resume automatically and complete if it will. Otherwise, you can run the utility if need be. I have ran it several times with no issues whatsoever. You should also do monthly database maintenance (per Commvault) using the DBmaintenance.exe utility. Use it monthly with the "-recommended" option and bi-annually with the -full option.

by default it will skip the failed chunk and continue
But I imagine that the remaining data is useless due to missing chunks

I will read up on the db maint you listed.
I currently use SQL schedule maintenance but will give the CV util a shot...Though i think it is just making SQL api calls

Thanks

Frank

I thought the default was not to skip the chunks unless you specifically change that option.

Where is the DBmaintenance.exe utility located? I did not see it in the base directory. Is it on one of the CDs?

I attempted to download the resource pack from Dell's website and it quits a third of the way through. I don't have the CDs since they're offsite for disaster recovery purposes. I will recall them back to see if I can find this utility.

It's on the resource pack CD. I believe they will send you one by request if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back