Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed to read data set error in backups after NW 6.0 SP4 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmee

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2000
AU
All,

After installing service pack 4 on our NetWare 6 servers, our ARCServe 9 backup server is now returning the following error for when trying to backup our NW Tree:

"failed to read data set".

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? I'd really appreciate any help or pointers in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Edmée de Klerk
Storage Management Lead - AP
IBM Global Services

I would check the versions of tsa, smdr and tsands on all servers. If they are the same. I would re-register smdr on all servers. something like smdr -new and it will want you to sign in. I believe it is best to remove the object from the tree first and smdr -new will recreate them

good luck

Just an FYI.

I have been told by Novell that SMDR no longer uses the Objects in the tree.. If you delete the NDS objects and do an SMDR -NEW, you will most likely not see the objects recreated. But they have a TSATEST.NLM that you can use to verify that your TSA's are working correctly.

You should probably also check with CA and find out if they have any later patches than what you already have for arcserve.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back