Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

failed to open rowset error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithyJD

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2004
GB
I have a fairly basic report which needs to select all records from a file where a field is not equal to 2 specific values. when i try and run the report i get a failed top open rowset the code produced by crystal is :

not ({STOCK.STOCK_CAT} in [4, 40])

To change it to use a is one off would be a real pain as extra values are added on a regular basis.

Any ideas whats upsetting it cant I use in is not one of when using ODBC.

hi

click on select expert and pick your field and in the filter
select no one of 4 and 40

cheers

pg

pgtek

Thats what I did to generate the code.

Jd

Dear SmithyJD,

I can run a similar report with no issues on CR 8.5 ... on a SQL Server 2000 database.

What is your version of CR?
What is the database?
What ODBC driver?

Providing this type of information helps us help you...

regards,
ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary@microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

Hi Its Crystal Reports Professional V10, The Data base is Sage Line 50 and its using the sage supplied ODBC driver.

Does this Help ?

Dear SmithJD,

Yes, because it is always helpful to know the particulars especially the version of Crystal.

I would say that this isn't a crystal issue, but rather an ODBC issue. I can run the same statement in Crystal 10.

I have never heard of the SAge Database and the fact that you are using a custom ODBC driver firms up my believe that this is an ODBC issue. The driver may not be able to "translate" this.

Instead of using the expert to generate the selection criteria go in and do it yourself.

Report/Select Formulas/Record

Now enter:

(not ({STOCK.STOCK_CAT} = 4)
and
not ({STOCK.STOCK_CAT} = 40)
)

Does that work?

Try that and see if it works. Always check what is being generated by doing a Database/Show SQL Query to see what Crystal is sending to the database.

regards,

ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary@microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

Hi,

We had the same error when we did two things:
1. renamed our database and
2. upgraded from Crystal 8.5 to Crystal 10

Tom solve the problem, I created a new ODBC connection and re-pointed the tables. This worked for us.

Good luck.
Tom

Dear SmithyJD,

I found this knowledge base article that directly addresses your question:

Err Msg: "Failed to open rowset" when using Sage database driver

Synopsis

A Crystal report uses the Sage database driver to connect to its data source. When you attempt to use the NOT statement as multiple filters in the WHERE clause in the SQL statement, the following error message appears:

Regards,

ro

Rosemary Lieberman

Thanks Roesmary am just downloading the fix pack now at 99.9 meg its a biggy so fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help

Hi again rosemaryl :)

I am getting the same error message "Failed to open rowset." as well as a second message box with another error "Invalid Argument provided.".

What is your version of CR? Converting V8 to V10
What is the database? OS/400 V5R2 (DB/2)
What ODBC driver? iSeries Access ODBC

I've searched the Business Objects (BO) knowledge base but found nothing, actually received a java error during one search attempt. I finally called them and was walked thru sending email reporting the problem to them.

Just curious if anyone monitoring this forum has seen/heard of anything that may be related to our issue.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Hi rosematyl,

I also found that KB article but it does not solve the issue - it relates to another error message "Details: S1C00:[IBM}{iSeries Access ODBC Driver}Driver not capable. (Version 5 Release 2)", not the one I am getting "Invalid Argument provided."

BO support replied a minute ago with many things to try, such as logging into the WinXP box as the Administrator to see if it works, download a testing utility called SQLCON32 to test the connection, etc. If I figure it out, I'll post the solution here. Thanks again for your help.

Tom

Dear Tom,

Your welcome sorry that wasn't the error.

Are you doing anything differently in this report than in other reports ... as you didn't mention this error in another post ... Joins, SQL Expressions, and so on.

ro

Rosemary Lieberman

Got the download and will be trying it tomorrow regarding the AS/400 problem what version of client access do u have on the pc is it v5r2 the same as the as/400 I had a similar problem with odbc drivers where the c/a version on the pC wasnt the same as the data base eventhough everything else worked fine it had problems with the odbc driver. I have also know it necessary to uninstall c/a on the pc and re-install from scratch if u have been through an upgrade process to address issues of this nature.

JD

Thanks rosemaryl & SmithyJD,

Report works just fine in CR V8 but bombs in CR V10 on the same PC

rosemaryl - totally different report for a different department.

SmithyJD - using iSeries Access ODBC driver that came with OS/400 V5R2. Not sure if the c/a was an upgrade or an uninstall then re-install but will chack that out also...

Thanks, Tom

Hmmm,

I have seen problems when bringing and 8.(0 or 5) report up to 10.

It could be a problem with a formula or some field ..

What you could try is stripping the report down, field by field to see when it does open ok ... maybe then you can identify the culprit. Obviously, time consuming but that is up to you to decide.

Regards,

ro

Rosemary Lieberman

Great idea regarding stripping the report down and I agree it will be very time consuming. Thanks, Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back